Old 07-06-2007, 03:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Unidentified Wildflower

Hello there, I was just wondering if any of you could help me by
specifically identifying the wildflower pictured in a href="http://
nonsequitur1979.blogspot.com/2007/06/thoughts-on-creativity-random-
hike-pics.html#links"this blog post/a . Pictures #4 and #5... it
looks like it's in the bleeding heart family. Photos were taken in
the Upper Valley area of New Hampshire, United States. I've only seen
this particular flower twice in my entire life, both times in obscure
areas in the woods with decent afternoon sun exposure and well-drained
soil... a lot of coniferous trees around. Thank you in advance, any
help is appreciated.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

sorry, I didn't know that the link wouldn't post properly using
html... trying this again...

http://nonsequitur1979.blogspot.com/...ics.html#links

Old 07-06-2007, 11:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

Microsorium_pteropus said:

Hello there, I was just wondering if any of you could help me by
specifically identifying the wildflower pictured in a href="http://
nonsequitur1979.blogspot.com/2007/06/thoughts-on-creativity-random-
hike-pics.html#links"this blog post/a . Pictures #4 and #5... it
looks like it's in the bleeding heart family. Photos were taken in
the Upper Valley area of New Hampshire, United States. I've only seen
this particular flower twice in my entire life, both times in obscure
areas in the woods with decent afternoon sun exposure and well-drained
soil... a lot of coniferous trees around. Thank you in advance, any
help is appreciated.

Hmm... It looks like what I'd imaging a hybrid of Dutchman's breeches
(Dicentra cucullaria) and plumy bleeding heart (D. exima) might turn out
to be.

I'd suggest it is unusual enough to contact the New England Wild Flower
Society (or a local nature society or university) about it. If it is a rarity,
they would certainly be interested in knowing where you found it growing.
(If it is previously unknown, maybe it will be named for you!)

I found a rare plant list for New Hampshire, which only lists one species
of Dicentra (D. canadensis) but lists that with a state ranking of '2'
which means:

"Imperiled because rarity (generally six to 20 occurrences) or other factors
demonstrably make it very vulnerable to extinction."

http://www.dred.state.nh.us/division...naturalheritag
e/documents/TrackingList-PlantTechnical.pdf

(or use http://tinyurl.com/2r3adr)

New England Wild Flower Society:
http://newfs.org

(attributed to Don Marti)