Old 08-06-2007, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default rhododendrons: it pays to procrastinate

I have two huge matched rhododendrons near the corner of my
house. Suddenly, this spring, one of them had what appeared
to be many dead branches on it. I was devastated. BUT I
procrastinated, probably because the thought of cutting off
those branches hurt so much. It would never look the same and
probably was on the road to a certain doom--or so I thought.

Well, lo and behold. Today I saw new leaves on those branches
that had looked so dead. I am so happy! The moral of the
story: don't give up on those dead-looking branches until
after the rhododendron starts its seasonal growth. :-)

(PS My neighbor prunes his rhododendrons into perfect
geometrical shapes right before it's going to bloom. He has
even trimmed it just as it had come into bloom....)
--
Jean B.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jean B. wrote:

Well, lo and behold. Today I saw new leaves on those branches that had
looked so dead. I am so happy! The moral of the story: don't give up
on those dead-looking branches until after the rhododendron starts its
seasonal growth. :-)

My azaleas always start out the spring looking dead with nothing but
brown leaves, and then burst into enthusiastic leaf and bloom.

They seem to be very tough plants. I had a florist shop gift azalea of
the type that is not supposed to be hardy that I'd kept for a couple
years. I'd put it in the garden in the summer and it would occasionally
flower. Last year, I didn't have much room in the house for plants, so
I had to be more selective and I moved the florist azalea to a shady
spot next to my woods, never expecting to see it again.

It looked like dead wood for a few weeks this spring, then it put out
the tiniest leaves. It's now mostly leafed out. And that was after a
winter with very cold temperatures and NO snow cover.

--Jenny
http://www.phlaunt.com/jennysgarden
Old 10-06-2007, 07:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jenny wrote:
My azaleas always start out the spring looking dead with nothing but
brown leaves, and then burst into enthusiastic leaf and bloom.

They seem to be very tough plants. I had a florist shop gift azalea of
the type that is not supposed to be hardy that I'd kept for a couple
years. I'd put it in the garden in the summer and it would occasionally
flower. Last year, I didn't have much room in the house for plants, so
I had to be more selective and I moved the florist azalea to a shady
spot next to my woods, never expecting to see it again.

It looked like dead wood for a few weeks this spring, then it put out
the tiniest leaves. It's now mostly leafed out. And that was after a
winter with very cold temperatures and NO snow cover.

--Jenny
http://www.phlaunt.com/jennysgarden

Heh. I'm in Massachusetts too, so I know a bit about that.

I hadn't seen such dead-looking branches come back to life
before, so I was thrilled. I'm glad you, too, have had some
rebirth in this family.

--
Jean B.

[IMG] code is On

It pays to plan ahead chagoi Ponds 2 16-11-2004 04:52 PM
It Pays to Advertise Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 18-07-2004 10:03 PM
It pays to shop. Andrew G Australia 2 02-07-2004 11:02 AM
it pays to be humble... K30a Ponds 1 26-06-2003 04:08 AM
Millionaire pays you for giving away his e-book for free! becsr Ponds (alternative) 0 19-03-2003 12:44 AM