Old 02-07-2004, 03:07 AM
Andrew G

Default It pays to shop.

Enjoying my current holidays doing not much but lazing around, spending time
with daughter and Fiance I also had a chance to visit some nurseries and pot
places in nearby Taree.
Here Forster has the great pleasure of having 2 nurseries, one very small
and overpriced, the other larger but does have some poor and overpriced
stock.
Anyways I found that travelling 30mins, even taking the old cruiser out to
stretch her legs (which drinks fuel like a fish does water) I could still
save money.
Prices varied between all nurseries for similar stock. Without going into
details plant prices could sometimes be half of what I pay here in Forster,
or vice versa.
Probably the biggest difference/rip off I ever saw was 2 things.
A nursery here sold small bags of coloured gravel for $3.95. A discount pot
place in Taree had the exact same bags, brand, size etc for $12.
and
A local "arty farty" type pot place had bonsai pots for $6, $12, and $18
respectively, or the set for $32. The reject shop, also local sold the same
pots, exactly, for $2 (or 3 can't remember) $4 and $6. Seems adding the word
"bonsai" to pot is much like adding "gourmet" to sandwich. Same stuff, just
more $$$ to pay out.
Anyway, I've taken down notes on what stuff to buy, and where. Across the
board some nurseries had stuff for more, yet other stuff cheaper.
But certainly, is been a lesson in paying to shop around, first time I have
ever done that.
Enough ranting
Cheers
Andrew

Old 02-07-2004, 10:03 AM
gl

it's amazing how much prices can vary! I usually don't bother shopping
around for garden stuff, but now I think I'll spend a bit more time and
browse around. I must admit I mostly just head to Bunnings (which you
probably don't have locally?) and buy everything there, as they are vastly
cheaper than the big Hawkins garden centre place. I haven't actually
ventured to any other nurseries around here (brisbane).

Old 02-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Andrew G

"gl" wrote in message
it's amazing how much prices can vary! I usually don't bother shopping
around for garden stuff, but now I think I'll spend a bit more time and
browse around. I must admit I mostly just head to Bunnings (which you
probably don't have locally?) and buy everything there, as they are vastly
cheaper than the big Hawkins garden centre place. I haven't actually
ventured to any other nurseries around here (brisbane).

Hi there
Never really tried bunnings for gardening stuff apart from tools. We have
them here, as well as Home Hardware. I might check them out one day. If they
did sell any plants it would mostly just be seedlings here. Can't say I've
ever seen any type of potted plants there so our Bunnings may not be a
Garden centre place.
The other big chain we have is Kmart, where I have usually bought potting
mix.
But yeah, in regards to plants, and gravel, the prices really suprised me.
While I have made notes in regards to costs, anything I don't have on the
list and may in the future want I will shop around locally and then ring
Taree nurseries to get prices.
I'll give some shopkeepers credit here. Let them know the price is cheaper
elsewhere, and they do usually match it.
I know, this may sound tight and cheap, but hey, if they want us to keep
coming back, then they should wake up. I can understand a dollar or 2
difference, but sheesh, $3 and $9, for same item. THat is a little too much
difference.

rhododendrons: it pays to procrastinate Jean B. Gardening 2 10-06-2007 07:09 PM
It pays to plan ahead chagoi Ponds 2 16-11-2004 04:52 PM
It Pays to Advertise Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 18-07-2004 10:03 PM
it pays to be humble... K30a Ponds 1 26-06-2003 04:08 AM
Millionaire pays you for giving away his e-book for free! becsr Ponds (alternative) 0 19-03-2003 12:44 AM