Old 09-06-2007, 01:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Replacement groundcover

In mid-March, after posting to this forum and reading many responses,
I planted 'Blue Star Creeper' in my partly-shaded garden.

The garden is 350-feet-square so I cut 612 plugs (each about 2 1/2"
square) from 17 flats and planted the plugs 8 inches apart.

For the first two months, the plugs looked great!

However, by mid-June -- 3 months after planting, only a dozen plugs
can be found and they look near-death. The other 600 plus have died
(in fact, I can find no evidence that they ever existed).

From the day the plugs were planted, I used an oscillating sprinkler

to water the garden:

Over the 3 months, the daytime temperatures have ranged from 55 to 95
degrees and the nighttime temperatures have ranged from 35 to 60
degrees.

During cool weather, I watered the garden at least every 3 days;
during warm weather, I watered every day.

Can anyone tell me what went so terribly wrong?

I now want to plant a different (preferably flowering) groundcover
that grows less than 6" tall.

Any recommendations?

[IMG] code is On

Replacement groundcover gary Gardening 3 09-06-2007 05:42 AM
Replacement groundcover gary Gardening 2 09-06-2007 02:17 AM
Replacement groundcover gary Gardening 0 09-06-2007 01:11 AM
I need a groundcover for full sun. Travis Gardening 6 14-04-2003 08:32 PM
Best groundcover for Active DogS David Modine Gardening 6 28-01-2003 05:23 AM