Old 14-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Travis

Default I need a groundcover for full sun.

I'm looking for a low growing groundcover that spreads quickly but is not
invasive. I want it to spread quickly so I don't have to buy too many
plants. The plan is for the ground cover to replace (by shading them
out)native grasses and weeds in an area planted with immature evergreen
trees and shrubs.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 14-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Pam

Travis wrote:

I'm looking for a low growing groundcover that spreads quickly but is not
invasive. I want it to spread quickly so I don't have to buy too many
plants. The plan is for the ground cover to replace (by shading them
out)native grasses and weeds in an area planted with immature evergreen
trees and shrubs.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Travis, they are not sold as a "groundcover" but there a number of hardy
geraniums that would do the trick. They grow quickly to form large spreading
clumps, flower for an extended period and are not what I consider to be
invasive, although some will self-seed freely but are easily removed. Pay
attention to heights - some geraniums can get fairly tall and rather lanky -
so I'd stick with the lower growing types to get the best effect. A few that
I'd recommend:
Geranium x cantabrigense 'Biokovo'
G. cinereum 'Ballerina' or 'Lawrence Flatman'
G. clarkei cultivars
G. himalayense 'Birche's Double'
G x oxonianum cultivars
G. x riversleaianum 'Russell Prichard' or 'Mavis Simpson'
G. sanguinem cultivars

pam - gardengal

Old 14-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Bill Spohn

I'm looking for a low growing groundcover that spreads quickly but is not
invasive.

Geez - I was going to suggest Vinca until you added the 'invasive' part!
Old 14-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Travis

Pam wrote:
Travis, they are not sold as a "groundcover" but there a number of
hardy geraniums that would do the trick.

I was thinking more along the line of Wintergreen/Kinnikinnick/etc type of
groundcover but was concerned about the full afternoon sun they will get.
They will not be watered after they are established either except by Mom
nature.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 14-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Pam

Travis wrote:

Pam wrote:
Travis, they are not sold as a "groundcover" but there a number of
hardy geraniums that would do the trick.

I was thinking more along the line of Wintergreen/Kinnikinnick/etc type of
groundcover but was concerned about the full afternoon sun they will get.
They will not be watered after they are established either except by Mom
nature.

Wintergreen will prefer shade but kinnikinnick does fine in (actually prefers)
full sun. I would not consider KK to be very good at supressing weeds,
however. It seldom forms dense enough coverage to prevent weeds from growing
through and then you have the added mess of trying to remove the weeds from
the interior of the plant without damage.

pam

Old 14-04-2003, 07:08 PM
sam

In Pam wrote:

Wintergreen will prefer shade but kinnikinnick does fine in (actually
prefers) full sun. I would not consider KK to be very good at
supressing weeds, however. It seldom forms dense enough coverage to
prevent weeds from growing through and then you have the added mess of
trying to remove the weeds from the interior of the plant without
damage.

pam

I'll second that. My kinnikinnick is in full sun in Portland and while
it's happy without supplemental watering, it always has grassy weeds
growing up through its middle areas and I wouldn't describe it as
spreading quickly at all. Pretty, though...

sam
pnw/z8
Old 14-04-2003, 08:32 PM
Travis

Thanks Pam and Sam.
USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

[IMG] code is On

Need xeric bush to shade full sun pond [email protected] Gardening 3 12-04-2006 03:33 AM
Sun without Sun. Erik Orchids 8 03-02-2006 09:51 PM
Low perennials for 50sqft, full sun, poor drainage, deer-res.? Marc Stephenson Texas 11 09-06-2003 12:56 PM
Will Shasta Daisy grow in constantly wet sand/full sun? Kevin Miller Gardening 4 04-06-2003 12:32 PM
Full Sun Hanging Baskets Lewis Spurlin North Carolina 0 08-04-2003 03:21 PM