Old 24-01-2003, 04:27 PM
David Modine

Default Best groundcover for Active DogS

We just fenced in an area in our backyard for our 3 dogs. We do walk
them on a path through the woods whenever practical, but during cold
weather or for midnight potty breaks the back yard will be "the spot".
Right now, a lot of the fenced in area is lawn, which I'm sure will need
to be changed this spring.
We plan on putting in new beds along the fence, with lots of climbing
flowering vines, inside the fence along the southern exposed property
line.
I'm hoping to come up with some sort of nice hardy groundcover. I'm not
too fond of pachysandra or ivy. Vinca's OK, but would prefer something a
bit more unusual.
Suggestions?

David
Old 24-01-2003, 10:16 PM
jammer

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 11:27:44 -0500, David Modine
wrote:

We just fenced in an area in our backyard for our 3 dogs. We do walk
them on a path through the woods whenever practical, but during cold
weather or for midnight potty breaks the back yard will be "the spot".
Right now, a lot of the fenced in area is lawn, which I'm sure will need
to be changed this spring.
We plan on putting in new beds along the fence, with lots of climbing
flowering vines, inside the fence along the southern exposed property
line.
I'm hoping to come up with some sort of nice hardy groundcover. I'm not
too fond of pachysandra or ivy. Vinca's OK, but would prefer something a
bit more unusual.
Suggestions?

David

HI David,
I dont know where you are. Unusual, huh? So not honeysuckle. Trumpet
vine? Morning glory? Bougainvilleas?

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 24-01-2003, 10:45 PM
David Hare-Scott

wrote:

[...]

Bougainvillea as a ground cover, well that is unusual. Should ensure
that dogs don't go there unless they are bursting, there won't be any
bounding about or harrassing the postman with a yard full of that
between the front door and the letterbox.

David

Old 25-01-2003, 10:36 AM
David Modine

"jammer" wrote in message
HI David,
I dont know where you are.

Oops, pretty dumb of me not to mention that.
I am in Maryland, just Northeast of DC, zone 7

Unusual, huh? So not honeysuckle.

We do have one huneysuckle, the variety with red/orange blooms, growing on a
pre-exiting fence along the eastern property line. It's truly a beautiful
plant while blooming. I don't know the proper name of it, my wife's the one
with plant knowledge.

Trumpet vine?

Is there a variety of trumpet that is not a super aggresive spreader. We had
one along the same eastern side fence, but is started getting out of hand &
taking over the hemlocks along that area.

Morning glory?

We love them.. Is there a perenial variety?

Bougainvilleas?

They would be great to, but would they be winter hardy in my zone?

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Thanks Jammer!

David

Old 25-01-2003, 01:20 PM
KrisHur

How about Lamium? It's a spreader so you'd have to keep it in check. I love
my patch of lamium and it does well sun or shade. I also have an area with
Campanula punctata, another spreader that needs to be kept in place and is
awesome if it gets good sun. Big beautiful bells over a long period in
summer. I think both could take some dog damage and heal up pretty quickly.

Looking for unusual, try Heronswood:
http://www.heronswood.com/
or
http://www.collectorsnursery.com/
--
Kristen &
Kali CD, CGC, TDI

&

Old 25-01-2003, 06:11 PM
David Modine

Thanks Kristen

We have some lamium in the shady side gardens, & it has held up to repeated
tromping very well

I found some pictures of Campanula punctata, that looks like it would work
well. The beds will be shaded by the board on board fence early in the day,
& will get a good amount of midday & afternoon sun. Could be a winner, but
of coarse I need to run it by my resident control committee (wife).

David

Old 28-01-2003, 05:23 AM
Lhemlock

I'm not familiar with any plants that can withstand day-in and day-out tromping
by humans and/or critters. I have 3 dogs myself and have found that the only
things that thrive are are those that are protected from their collective paws.