Old 18-06-2007, 03:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Hibiscus - Can it survive a winter around Toronto, ON?

Hello There,

I was walking through Wal Mart today and notice a beautiful flowering
tree. I decided that it would look wonderful in my front garden and
decided to buy it. It is a gorgeous tree which stands about 4 feet
tall with a crown on it about 2.5 feet in diameter. The flowers are a
huge, dark pink, 5 (or 6) pedal flower which has a magnificent center
on it.

I'm not a gardener by any means (which may be evident by this post),
but I planted it when I got home. I noticed on the tag (after I got
hom) that it said never to allow it to get below 50 degrees
farenheit. I thought this was a little weird as I live in Canada so I
decided to do a little research.

I have seen some posts saying that Hibiscus can stay outside for the
winter, another said to bring it into the garage where it can go
dormant and anoter said that it has to come in in the winter.

I'm confused, I don't know what to do. Please help.

Old 18-06-2007, 06:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 17, 7:45 pm, wrote:
[...]

Hi Jim
Yes it can be confusing since there are many plants called Hibiscus.
(All related to each other and having 5 petals)
Did your plant tag have another name after Hibiscus?

Hibiscus rosa-sinensis is Chinese/Tropical Hibiscus. It is tender and
will not generally survive any frost. some will go to about 30
deg.F
This is probably what you have since it says 50 F. Bring it inside
for winter. The 'tree' is very likely a standard form of this
Hibiscus.

H. moscheutos is a perennial hibiscus that is cold hardy
and would die back in winter and return in the spring. Yours doesn't
sound like this plant. I've not heard of it being grown as a
standard
as it's main stem is not very sturdy.

H. syriacus is called Rose of Sharon or sometimes
Althaea. It is a shrubby plant, also cold hardy and returns in the
spring.
These are the most commonly found Hibiscus that you'd find at
Walmart. Your "magnificent center" sounds like a Tropical Hibiscus.
Emilie
NorCal

Old 18-06-2007, 08:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

In message . com,
mleblanca writes
On Jun 17, 7:45 pm, wrote:
[...]

Huge flowers is usually associated with H. moscheutos and its allies
("dinner plate" Hibiscus), but I read that some H. rosa-sinensis
cultivars can get pretty large-flowered. I agree that H. rosa-sinensis
sounds the most likely.

He can look for pictures of various Hibiscuses on the web to see if he
recognises anything. I've got a collection of assorted Hibiscus images
at

http://www.malvaceae.info/Genera/Hibiscus/gallery.html
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 18-06-2007, 08:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 18, 12:58 am, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message . com,
mleblanca writes

On Jun 17, 7:45 pm, wrote:
[...]

WOW Stewart, those photos are fantastic. I really like the close ups
of the stigma and anthers. Thanks for posting the URL.
What other genera do you have?
Emilie

Old 18-06-2007, 09:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

In message .com,
mleblanca writes
He can look for pictures of various Hibiscuses on the web to see if he
recognises anything. I've got a collection of assorted Hibiscus images
at

http://www.malvaceae.info/Genera/Hibiscus/gallery.html
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

WOW Stewart, those photos are fantastic. I really like the close ups of
the stigma and anthers. Thanks for posting the URL.
What other genera do you have?

The up link leads you to

http://www.malvaceae.info/Genera/gallery.html

Otherwise