Old 29-02-2004, 04:28 PM
Howard

Default Did the fish survive the winter..

I just uncovered my pond of the black liner I placed over it, over the
winter, checking up on it every 1 or 2 weeks to make sure a hole was left
open, a few times it had froze over and I opened a hole with some hot water
with a bubbler running all winter.

I happy to say that all my fish are down there moving around, slowly, but
moving, one of the smaller fish even came close to the surface while I was
adjusting the airline.

Toronto, Canada
Old 01-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Iguana

Yup, Brampton here, and the fish have been enjoying our little version of
spring, all up at the surface looking for warmth, and probably some
munchies.

Any chance you want 30 or so baby goldfish? I gotta get rid of them come
pond cleaning time in April, lest they get sucked up accidently(many are
black) by the sump pump and/or vacuum, and my pond cannot support that many
fish.

You just can't give theses thngs away!

Old 01-03-2004, 01:58 PM
Howard

"Iguana" wrote in
le.rogers.com:

Yup, Brampton here, and the fish have been enjoying our little version
of spring, all up at the surface looking for warmth, and probably some
munchies.

Any chance you want 30 or so baby goldfish? I gotta get rid of them
come pond cleaning time in April, lest they get sucked up
accidently(many are black) by the sump pump and/or vacuum, and my pond
cannot support that many fish.

Well, I dont have a large pond, but I was going to get more fish this
year, I might take some of them if thats alright.

Maybe 10, depending on how large they are.

Let me know

Old 01-03-2004, 03:01 PM
Janet

I was totally stunned to see mine swimming around yesterday here in Niagara
Falls! We had an "incident" during that arctic air mass that settled in over
January. Ponds and stream were doing fine then overnight one of the hoses
blew off the pump resulting in 2 very frozen ponds the next morning. We
couldn't get the lines thawed before we got that dumping of snow. To add to
the "incident", it looked like all the water disappeared a couple of days
later (probably due to the 100km+ winds). So ther it's sat till the last
couple of days. We scooped the snow out (again it looked completely empty)
and let the melted snow drain in to it. By Friday night it was almost full
but then Saturday morning it looked like it only had a few inches of water
in it. \ So out came the hose on Saturday and threw in the heater and
it's still holding water at the same level. Last night I see a couple of
orange bodies and figure I am going to be on scooping duty, I turned away
and looked again and they moved ~!~ Definitely tough lil' buggers!
Janet in Niagara Falls doing the Happy Fishie Dance! LOL!

Old 01-03-2004, 07:12 PM
Iguana

Howard wrote:
"Iguana" wrote in
le.rogers.com:

Any chance you want 30 or so baby goldfish? I gotta get rid of them
come pond cleaning time in April, lest they get sucked up
accidently(many are black) by the sump pump and/or vacuum, and my
pond cannot support that many fish.

Well, I dont have a large pond, but I was going to get more fish this
year, I might take some of them if thats alright.

Maybe 10, depending on how large they are.

As my Mom said, if you want 10, take 30 just in case! grin

Right now they are small, range in size from 1/2" to maybe 3/4", mostly
black, a few orange, a few with mixed colours.

Keep my email handy, and let me know if and when. Figure I'll start cleaning
the pond in April, unless Mother Nature makes us pay for the past week of
glorious weather by having it snow in April!