Old 31-12-2003, 01:12 AM
Lydia

Default will mosquito fish survive the winter?

The pond is 2 feet deep ~ 500gal. I put about 15-20 mosquito fish in it
this fall. It's a new pond so I don't have anything else in it yet.

Usually our low temps. this season in Seattle are around 40-45F degrees, but
we've been having cold snaps where the pond has had a layer of ice on it for
a few days at a time during about 3 different weeks since October. One of
those weeks is this week. Overnight temps are mid 20's. Ice on the top of
the pond again.

The feeling I get from what I read is that the mosquito fish will still be
there in the spring. Really? Honestly? Is that true? It just seems so
amazing to me that I can believe it.

Or are they most likely all dead by now? Should I do something for them
like dump hot water in or break a hole in the ice even though it'll probably
be gone in no more than a week?

Thanks!
Lydia

Old 31-12-2003, 01:33 AM
Nedra

Lydia,

You really need to make sure you keep a Hole in ice for the
exchange of gases... think of it as letting your fish breathe.

Buy a small air pump - KMart usually has them for about $8.00.
Attach an air hose with a 4 inch airstone. Then put the airstone
about 2 or 3 inches down in your pond. This will keep the hole
open in Seattle's winters.
Almost forgot - do cover the air pump with
a bucket. It is not weather proof and needs protection from the
rain and snow. I have mine nailed to an upright on the deck then I
covered it with a baggie.

Nedra

Old 31-12-2003, 03:02 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Yes, and don't break a hole, melt one to insert the airstone. The sooner
you do this the more survivors you will have. ~ jan

Old 31-12-2003, 02:28 PM
Just Me \Koi\

Wait a second Nedra and Jan! I bet to differ if I may.

Mosquito fish are dime a dozen, they are not pets, and they breed by the
trillion per second! My dear wife calls them the cockroaches of the pond!

My point? Why go through the hassle and waste of utility to try and over
winter mosquito fish! I am almost certain that the darn things will survive
a nuclear attack anyway, so I doubt if freeze will kill them, but if it does
go to your vector control center and get a bucket load for free!

--
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: