Old 26-06-2007, 01:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default cooking string beans /was Question about tomatoes

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article ,
"Rachael Simpson" wrote:

*snip*

Butt right ahead gentle lady.

I'm happy to read that I won't have to replace the plants.

My main worry right now is that I'm going to burn out on green beans.
The recipe that I use for green beans can be used with carrots,
mushrooms, parsnips, and peas. But I need to find another variation
so
that I don't lose interest in green beans since I seem to have
brought
in a gusher of green beans.
--
Billy

ok, just to make sure we are completely on the same page............

your green beans are what us country folk call "string beans" right?
or
are
you refering to lima beans as green beans.

I assumed the "string beans" in my first post, but i grow and cook
both.
clarify my mind and we can possibly move onto recipes.........

Buttin' in! ;-)

He's gotta be talking about string beans. Otherwise he'd be mentioning
green (lima) beans and corn in the same breath.

Succotash. Ready for that, we are, soon as the corn comes in!

Charlie....buttin' out now

wanted to make sure..............lol
i've heard so many refer to green beans in various ways!

ok, well now, bill, you could can them for later use. they can be
grilled
or fried.

you can boil them and season with bacon or ham bits, or butter (or a
butter
substitute), cooked with boiled potatos is always good, pan sear for a
crisp
taste, they are good for stir-fries (some soy sauce and carrot strips,
maybe
a few water chestnuts) and then there is the ever famous string bean
casserole (with fried onion topping).

so take your pick................

rachael aka rae

not the rachael ray

lol

That sound that you hear is my cholesterol ringing the bell. Lord have
mercy. What you got with olive oil and/or canolola oil child? With
boiled potatoes sounds good. Keep it comin'.
--
Billy

well, i did say you could grill them too..........stir-fry isn't that high
in cholesterol when you cook it up right. when you stir-fry you could use
your olive or canola oil then. well, actually you could use those oil in
any of the ways i mentioned (expect during canning - lol)
bake with some smart balance (or whatever you use for butter/marg.)

when i pan-sear or even for frying sometimes, i use a salad dressing instead
of oil. last night was porkchops cooked in kraft free catalina dressing. i
use free italian to cook hamburgers in when i can't grill. also use italian
on the porkchops sometimes too.

string beans are pretty good with the free italian dressing for seasoning
too. but every now and then, you just have to go the good ole' southern
route. with the country ham bits or bacon with a bit of
butter............all full of cholesterol.......yum!

Old 26-06-2007, 06:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Question about tomatoes

wonderful. I asked online for green tomatoes and had a bushel full
last fall. I started with batter (tempura batter is excellent), then
did dredge in amaranth flour, finally I just zapped em in the
microwave when I got tired of all the grease. they are great side
dish. they DO need to be salted for maximum flavor. Ingrid

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 01:18:43 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

Okay, I can't stand it. What do fried green tomatoes taste like?

Old 29-06-2007, 06:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Persephone
wrote:

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 22:08:39 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 15:32:27 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

My main worry right now is that I'm going to burn out on green beans.
The recipe that I use for green beans can be used with carrots,
mushrooms, parsnips, and peas. But I need to find another variation so
that I don't lose interest in green beans since I seem to have brought
in a gusher of green beans.

Green Beans Almondine....simple, delicious, a favorite 'round here.

Charlie

Whaaaaat? I gotta look it up? Come on already.

I've been doing that one for ages. My version is simple:

Nuke the cut-up green beans in the micro, covered, with a TBSP
or two of water. Saves all the nutrients that would get lost in
boiling water.

Meantime, grind TAMARI almonds in the Cuisinart, not too fine.

Sauter the almonds in butter. When toasty but not burned,
add the cooked beans, mix well, salt to taste. Consume!

The soy sauce flavor of the Tamari almonds makes all the diff.

Persephone

Thanks.
--
Billy
Old 29-06-2007, 06:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

My main worry right now is that I'm going to burn out on green beans.
The recipe that I use for green beans can be used with carrots,
mushrooms, parsnips, and peas. But I need to find another variation so
that I don't lose interest in green beans since I seem to have brought
in a gusher of green beans.

Green Beans Almondine....simple, delicious, a favorite 'round here.

Charlie

Whaaaaat? I gotta look it up? Come on already.

Whatta freekin' weiner.......here.

http://www.greenbeansnmore.com/recipe-g.html

I do the lemon routine, sometimes with a bit of dry white.

Charlie

A commercial web site. I was hoping for a Chalies mother-in-law recipe.
--
Billy
Old 29-06-2007, 06:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Rachael Simpson" wrote:

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article ,
"Rachael Simpson" wrote:

[...]

I never truly appreciated what a sadist you are;-)
--
Billy

Old 29-06-2007, 05:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

About a pound of young beans
1/4 C unsalted butter
1/2 C sliced unblanched almonds
1/4 C chopped shallots or green onions
1/4 C water
1 lemon wedge, or to taste
S & P

Steam the beans until bright

Melt the butter and continue cooking slowly until the solids lightly
carmelize (like you were making ghee) Add the sliced almonds and
shallots or green onions. Saute' until almonds are lightly browned.
Add beans and water, cook over high heat until beans are hot and the
sauce coats the beans.

Squeeze lemon over beans and S & P to taste.

We have substituted pine nuts for the almonds and like it well.

The freekin' weiner thanks you;-)
--
Billy