Old 25-06-2007, 02:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Question about tomatoes

My tomato plants are four feet tall and are laden with full market
size green tomatoes. Seem to me that some should begin to ripen but
they continue to stay green. In fact it seems that they have been that
way for almost a month. When may i expect to see some ripe tomatoes?
BTW I'm in the north Atlanta area.
Thanks,
Johnny
raised-garden-bed.com

Old 25-06-2007, 02:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Johnny" wrote in message
ups.com...
My tomato plants are four feet tall and are laden with full market
size green tomatoes. Seem to me that some should begin to ripen but
they continue to stay green. In fact it seems that they have been that
way for almost a month. When may i expect to see some ripe tomatoes?
BTW I'm in the north Atlanta area.
Thanks,
Johnny
raised-garden-bed.com

are they getting enough sun? try picking one or two now, and sit them in
the sun, outside or inside. they should turn in a couple of days, depending
on variety. or you could get your fill of fried green maters! lol

rae

Old 25-06-2007, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Rachael Simpson" wrote in
:

"Johnny" wrote in message
ups.com...
My tomato plants are four feet tall and are laden with full market
size green tomatoes. Seem to me that some should begin to ripen but
they continue to stay green. In fact it seems that they have been
that way for almost a month. When may i expect to see some ripe
tomatoes? BTW I'm in the north Atlanta area.
Thanks,
Johnny
raised-garden-bed.com

are they getting enough sun? try picking one or two now, and sit them
in the sun, outside or inside. they should turn in a couple of days,
depending on variety. or you could get your fill of fried green
maters! lol

rae

Okay, I can't stand it. What do fried green tomatoes taste like?
Old 25-06-2007, 07:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article . com,
Johnny wrote:

My tomato plants are four feet tall and are laden with full market
size green tomatoes. Seem to me that some should begin to ripen but
they continue to stay green. In fact it seems that they have been that
way for almost a month. When may i expect to see some ripe tomatoes?
BTW I'm in the north Atlanta area.
Thanks,
Johnny
raised-garden-bed.com

Patience. It sounds as if the plants have their hands full. But if they
have gotten this far, they will complete the journey. They know what
they are doing. Relax.
--
Billy
Old 25-06-2007, 01:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
"Rachael Simpson" wrote in
:

"Johnny" wrote in message
ups.com...
My tomato plants are four feet tall and are laden with full market
size green tomatoes. Seem to me that some should begin to ripen but
they continue to stay green. In fact it seems that they have been
that way for almost a month. When may i expect to see some ripe
tomatoes? BTW I'm in the north Atlanta area.
Thanks,
Johnny
raised-garden-bed.com

are they getting enough sun? try picking one or two now, and sit them
in the sun, outside or inside. they should turn in a couple of days,
depending on variety. or you could get your fill of fried green
maters! lol

rae

Okay, I can't stand it. What do fried green tomatoes taste like?

just slice in round slices, batter, & fry..........folks 'round here love
them.

Old 25-06-2007, 08:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

Should only be a few days and we'll be enjoying the first haricots
verts. Same for the zuchinni. Cukes aren't far off.

Charlie

Do you know, off the top of your head or do I have to look it up, if
green beans need to be replanted to maintain production during the
season? One end of my row (1/3) is cranking. Beans every other day. the
other end has just set flowers and the middle s still growing. No, not
all planted at the same time.

I await you Delphic pronouncement.
--
Billy
Old 25-06-2007, 09:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article , Charlie wrote:

Should only be a few days and we'll be enjoying the first haricots
verts. Same for the zuchinni. Cukes aren't far off.

Charlie

Do you know, off the top of your head or do I have to look it up, if
green beans need to be replanted to maintain production during the
season? One end of my row (1/3) is cranking. Beans every other day. the
other end has just set flowers and the middle s still growing. No, not
all planted at the same time.

I await you Delphic pronouncement.
--
Billy

buttin' in.......

i've never had to replant my green beans before. What I've grown usually
keeps re-producing all season,

buttin' out now,
Rae

Old 25-06-2007, 11:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Rachael Simpson" wrote:

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article , Charlie wrote:

Should only be a few days and we'll be enjoying the first haricots
verts. Same for the zuchinni. Cukes aren't far off.

Charlie

Do you know, off the top of your head or do I have to look it up, if
green beans need to be replanted to maintain production during the
season? One end of my row (1/3) is cranking. Beans every other day. the
other end has just set flowers and the middle s still growing. No, not
all planted at the same time.

I await you Delphic pronouncement.
--
Billy

buttin' in.......

i've never had to replant my green beans before. What I've grown usually
keeps re-producing all season,

buttin' out now,
Rae

Butt right ahead gentle lady.

I'm happy to read that I won't have to replace the plants.

My main worry right now is that I'm going to burn out on green beans.
The recipe that I use for green beans can be used with carrots,
mushrooms, parsnips, and peas. But I need to find another variation so
that I don't lose interest in green beans since I seem to have brought
in a gusher of green beans.
--
Billy
Old 26-06-2007, 12:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article ,
"Rachael Simpson" wrote:

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article , Charlie wrote:

[...]

ok, just to make sure we are completely on the same page............

your green beans are what us country folk call "string beans" right? or are
you refering to lima beans as green beans.

I assumed the "string beans" in my first post, but i grow and cook both.
clarify my mind and we can possibly move onto recipes.........

Old 26-06-2007, 02:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

*snip*

Butt right ahead gentle lady.

I'm happy to read that I won't have to replace the plants.

My main worry right now is that I'm going to burn out on green beans.
The recipe that I use for green beans can be used with carrots,
mushrooms, parsnips, and peas. But I need to find another variation so
that I don't lose interest in green beans since I seem to have brought
in a gusher of green beans.
--
Billy

ok, just to make sure we are completely on the same page............

your green beans are what us country folk call "string beans" right? or
are
you refering to lima beans as green beans.

I assumed the "string beans" in my first post, but i grow and cook both.
clarify my mind and we can possibly move onto recipes.........

Buttin' in! ;-)

He's gotta be talking about string beans. Otherwise he'd be mentioning
green (lima) beans and corn in the same breath.

Succotash. Ready for that, we are, soon as the corn comes in!

Charlie....buttin' out now

wanted to make sure..............lol
i've heard so many refer to green beans in various ways!

ok, well now, bill, you could can them for later use. they can be grilled
or fried.

you can boil them and season with bacon or ham bits, or butter (or a butter
substitute), cooked with boiled potatos is always good, pan sear for a crisp
taste, they are good for stir-fries (some soy sauce and carrot strips, maybe
a few water chestnuts) and then there is the ever famous string bean
casserole (with fried onion topping).

so take your pick................

rachael aka rae

not the rachael ray

lol

Old 26-06-2007, 05:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Johnny" wrote in message
ups.com...
My tomato plants are four feet tall and are laden with full market
size green tomatoes. Seem to me that some should begin to ripen but
they continue to stay green. In fact it seems that they have been that
way for almost a month. When may i expect to see some ripe tomatoes?
BTW I'm in the north Atlanta area.
Thanks,
Johnny
raised-garden-bed.com

Just some reassurance here. Same story here, except one of the larger ones
has finally shown some orange hue to it. They'll probably all ripen within
a week of each other at this rate. Still making blooms as well.
Like the tomato to ripen on the plant, vice the window. Lot richer taste in
my opinion.
Dave

Old 26-06-2007, 06:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Rachael Simpson" wrote:

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article ,
"Rachael Simpson" wrote:

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article , Charlie wrote:

[...]

Green bean, string beans, haricot verts it's all the same. I'm not
talkin' shelled beans.

Lay it on me.
--
Billy
Old 26-06-2007, 06:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Rachael Simpson" wrote:

*snip*

[...]

That sound that you hear is my cholesterol ringing the bell. Lord have
mercy. What you got with olive oil and/or canolola oil child? With
boiled potatoes sounds good. Keep it comin'.
--
Billy
Old 26-06-2007, 06:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 15:32:27 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

My main worry right now is that I'm going to burn out on green beans.
The recipe that I use for green beans can be used with carrots,
mushrooms, parsnips, and peas. But I need to find another variation so
that I don't lose interest in green beans since I seem to have brought
in a gusher of green beans.

Green Beans Almondine....simple, delicious, a favorite 'round here.

Charlie

Whaaaaat? I gotta look it up? Come on already.
--
Billy
Old 26-06-2007, 08:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

My main worry right now is that I'm going to burn out on green beans.
The recipe that I use for green beans can be used with carrots,
mushrooms, parsnips, and peas. But I need to find another variation so
that I don't lose interest in green beans since I seem to have brought
in a gusher of green beans.

Green Beans Almondine....simple, delicious, a favorite 'round here.

Charlie

Whaaaaat? I gotta look it up? Come on already.

I've been doing that one for ages. My version is simple:

Nuke the cut-up green beans in the micro, covered, with a TBSP
or two of water. Saves all the nutrients that would get lost in
boiling water.

Meantime, grind TAMARI almonds in the Cuisinart, not too fine.

Sauter the almonds in butter. When toasty but not burned,
add the cooked beans, mix well, salt to taste. Consume!

The soy sauce flavor of the Tamari almonds makes all the diff.

Persephone