Old 19-07-2007, 11:49 AM
Registered User

Unhappy Advice request: Will my potato vine recover?

I am the proud owner of a once thriving sweet potato vine (Solanum Jasminoides). It was planted close to a south-facing fence (in London) about three years ago and grew rapidly. It covers an area about six foot high by fifteen feet wide and flowers most of the year.

Unfortuntately some deep digging on the other side of the fence may have cut through a significant portion of the roots. Immediatey after this happened, about 90% of the foliage simply shrivelled up, leaving only a small portion at one end still green.

I have heard this ttype of vine described as 'tough'. Does this mean there is any hope that it will recover or regrow itself if undisturbed? Or is the damage likely to be irreversible?

Can anyone advise?
Old 19-07-2007, 02:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Advice request: Will my potato vine recover?

philip64 wrote:
I am the proud owner of a once thriving sweet potato vine (Solanum
Jasminoides). It was planted close to a south-facing fence (in London)
about three years ago and grew rapidly. It covers an area about six
foot high by fifteen feet wide and flowers most of the year.

Unfortuntately some deep digging on the other side of the fence may
have cut through a significant portion of the roots. Immediatey after
this happened, about 90% of the foliage simply shrivelled up, leaving
only a small portion at one end still green.

I have heard this ttype of vine described as 'tough'. Does this mean
there is any hope that it will recover or regrow itself if undisturbed?
Or is the damage likely to be irreversible?

Can anyone advise?

if there are any runners left to the plant, then they should re-root
well. i root them in a jar of water in the house all the time. it may
take awhile, but should bounce back some. of course, i'm sure someone
with more experience than i will be along shortly to give you a little
more advice.
Old 19-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachael simpson View Post
philip64 wrote:
[...]

Thank you. What part of the plant is a runner? (Pardon my ignorance!)
Old 20-07-2007, 02:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

philip64 wrote:

-
if there are any runners left to the plant, then they should re-root
well. i root them in a jar of water in the house all the time. it may

take awhile, but should bounce back some. of course, i'm sure someone

with more experience than i will be along shortly to give you a little

more advice.

Thank you. What part of the plant is a runner? (Pardon my ignorance!)

definition of plant runner:

A stolon is a horizontal stem that is fleshy or semi-woody and lies
along the top of the ground. A runner is a type of stolon. It is a
specialized stem that grows on the soil surface and forms a new plant at
one or more of its nodes. Strawberry runners are examples of stolons.
Remember, all stems have nodes and buds or leaves.

basically, a runner is the part that starts at the base of the plant,
skims along the ground and roots nearby, starting a new plant. if your
vine is as large as you say, you should have several runners.

even if you only have a *nub* of a root, it should work......

all the runners I have started indoors have been off of broken field
plants. Since yours is in place already, i would pamper it a little and
maybe take one or to runners to re-root separately, in case the original
plant doesn't bounce back.
Old 20-07-2007, 06:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

philip64 wrote:-
[...]

German Stollen Recipe

recipe is ready in 5 hrs Ready in: 5 hrs
recipe difficulty 3/5 Difficulty: 3 (1=easiest :: hardest=5)

Serves/Makes: 10

Related Categories:
--Stollen Bread Recipes
Sponsored By:

Ingredients:
14 ounces active baker's yeast
3/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup butter; softened
3 1/2 cups flour
1 cup blanched almonds; chopped
1/2 cup candied lemon peel; cut into small pieces
1/2 cup candied orange peel; cut into small pieces
1/2 cup raisins
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel

Directions:

Dissolve the yeast in the water and proof it. Add the sugar, eggs, egg
yolk, butter and half the flour. Beat for 10 mins. Blend in the
remaining flour, nuts, fruits and peel. Let rise about 1 1/2 hours,
until doubled. Punch down, cover and refrigerate overnight.

Knead dough. Roll into one or two rectangles, butter it and fold over
the edges to make a rolled loaf. Place on a greased cookie sheet with
the folded edges down. Spread with a combination of one egg white and 1
tablespoon water. Let rise until doubled in size (about 45 - 60 mins.)
Bake 30 - 35 mins. at 375F.

You can also make them in normal bread pans, but increase the baking
time somewhat.

This recipe for German Stollen serves/makes 10
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/

Old 20-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Registered User

definition of plant runner:

A stolon is a horizontal stem that is fleshy or semi-woody and lies
along the top of the ground. A runner is a type of stolon. It is a
specialized stem that grows on the soil surface and forms a new plant at
one or more of its nodes. Strawberry runners are examples of stolons.
Remember, all stems have nodes and buds or leaves.

basically, a runner is the part that starts at the base of the plant,
skims along the ground and roots nearby, starting a new plant. if your
vine is as large as you say, you should have several runners.

even if you only have a *nub* of a root, it should work......

all the runners I have started indoors have been off of broken field
plants. Since yours is in place already, i would pamper it a little and
maybe take one or to runners to re-root separately, in case the original
plant doesn't bounce back.[/quote]

Thank you. That's very helpful. As soon as it stops raining I will go in search of stolons and see what I can recover. I've already given the plants some plant food, but the weather has been so wet, I doubt if it needs any more water!

I am still hoping for a recovery of the old plant, but most of the leaves are now shrivelled up or black. I guess I won't know until spring if there is still some life in the roots.
Old 20-07-2007, 02:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

snip

[...]

yeah, i guess i coulda mentioned that they should have plenty to eat off
of it if the plant does die............didn't think that far ahead!
hadn't tried this one. my recipe is 'bout the same, but without the
lemon and orange peel. saving this one to try later (ie, when it cools
down, baking bread is scarce around this house right now!)
Old 20-07-2007, 03:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

philip64 wrote:

Thank you. That's very helpful. As soon as it stops raining I will go in
search of stolons and see what I can recover. I've already given the
plants some plant food, but the weather has been so wet, I doubt if it
needs any more water!

I am still hoping for a recovery of the old plant, but most of the leaves
are now shrivelled up or black. I guess I won't know until spring if there
is still some life in the roots.

are you sure the damage was caused by digging? if there's been too much
water, that could be a factor also.........
Old 21-07-2007, 06:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 22:11:33 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

This recipe for German Stollen serves/makes 10

You introduced a typo, Billy.

The serving size, going by the recipe, is for only 1serving.

Charlie, who loves Stollen

Humph. Small minds. Small stomachs. Gotta think big, boy.