Old 20-07-2007, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Insects are Eating our Tree!

Over the last few days I noticed a lot of chewed-up leaves on the
ground beneath our large 25 foot tree. Upon closer examination I
found the following larvae attached to the leaves, as well as some fly-
looking creatures (not sure if they're related to the larvae).

Can anyone identify the offending vermin? Should I be concerned about
this? What steps should I take to get rid of the infestation and save
the tree?

Pics at the following address:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jseemann/InfectedTree

Thanks!!
Jason

Old 20-07-2007, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 20, 3:38 pm, " wrote:
Over the last few days I noticed a lot of chewed-up leaves on the
ground beneath our large 25 foot tree. Upon closer examination I
found the following larvae attached to the leaves, as well as some fly-
looking creatures (not sure if they're related to the larvae).

Can anyone identify the offending vermin? Should I be concerned about
this? What steps should I take to get rid of the infestation and save
the tree?

Pics at the following address:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jseemann/InfectedTree

Thanks!!
Jason

What kind of tree?
First determine the tree species.
Looks like sawflies but the pics are not clear enough on my end.
For sawflies you don't really need to do anything, they come eat a few
branches worth of leaves and move on.

Old 20-07-2007, 10:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article . com,
" wrote:

Over the last few days I noticed a lot of chewed-up leaves on the
ground beneath our large 25 foot tree. Upon closer examination I
found the following larvae attached to the leaves, as well as some fly-
looking creatures (not sure if they're related to the larvae).

Can anyone identify the offending vermin? Should I be concerned about
this? What steps should I take to get rid of the infestation and save
the tree?

Pics at the following address:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jseemann/InfectedTree

Is that a linden tree?

The procreating insects are Japanese beetles, which appear to be
skeletonizing the leaves.

The "larvae" on the leaves are spindle galls which are probably caused
by a particular mite or midge.

There is tons of information concerning the control of Japanese beetles
and leaf galls on the web. I am not at all sure what the best methods
are. Maybe someone here will chime in.
Old 20-07-2007, 10:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 20, 5:23 pm, Amos Nomore wrote:
In article . com,

" wrote:
[...]

Yes that does indeed look like a Japanese Beetle! Also my tree does
appear to be a Linden as well based on the leaf pattern. Looking in
to some online sources I confirmed that the Japanese Beetle does have
something of a fetish for the Linden tree.

Anyone have any tips for getting rid of the adult Beetle? Online
sources seem to indicate nothing works perfectly...

Old 20-07-2007, 11:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

--
BetsyB
wrote in message
ups.com...
Over the last few days I noticed a lot of chewed-up leaves on the
ground beneath our large 25 foot tree. Upon closer examination I
found the following larvae attached to the leaves, as well as some fly-
looking creatures (not sure if they're related to the larvae).

Can anyone identify the offending vermin? Should I be concerned about
this? What steps should I take to get rid of the infestation and save
the tree?

Pics at the following address:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jseemann/InfectedTree

Thanks!!
Jason

Jay that is sad, where do you live? In NJ we have many acres of leafless
trees due to Gypsy Moths.

This is from Google.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DG

Old 20-07-2007, 11:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

--
Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub1.html
and
Look up "Tree Planting" http://www.treedictionary.com

Improper Mulching - http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html
and
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/ Look up "Mulch"

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Tree Farming and Related Problems
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

ups.com...

Old 20-07-2007, 11:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

When controling things like beetles, one should also consider what the
pesticide is they use.
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/spring.html

Man should be concerned about things that hurt trees starting with humans.

[...]

Old 20-07-2007, 11:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 20, 6:27 pm, "betsyb" wrote:
--
wrote in message

ups.com...

Over the last few days I noticed a lot of chewed-up leaves on the
ground beneath our large 25 foot tree. Upon closer examination I
found the following larvae attached to the leaves, as well as some fly-
looking creatures (not sure if they're related to the larvae).

Can anyone identify the offending vermin? Should I be concerned about
this? What steps should I take to get rid of the infestation and save
the tree?

Pics at the following address:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jseemann/InfectedTree

Thanks!!
Jason

Jay that is sad, where do you live? In NJ we have many acres of leafless
trees due to Gypsy Moths.

This is from Google.http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...nosha.wi.us/pl...

I'm located near Columbus, Ohio.

I just bought some Spectricide Bag-A-Bug Japanese Beetle traps
(interesting article about them he http://thefuntimesguide.com/2005/07/bagabugbeetles.php
). I'll let you all know if I catch a bunch of them.

Jason

Old 21-07-2007, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 20, 3:38?pm, " wrote:
Over the last few days I noticed a lot of chewed-up leaves on the
ground beneath our large 25 foot tree. Upon closer examination I
found the following larvae attached to the leaves, as well as some fly-
looking creatures (not sure if they're related to the larvae).

Can anyone identify the offending vermin? Should I be concerned about
this? What steps should I take to get rid of the infestation and save
the tree?

Pics at the following address:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jseemann/InfectedTree

Defintely Japanese beetle on a linden... spray with sevin... I had the
same just last week.

Old 21-07-2007, 02:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article . com,
" wrote:

On Jul 20, 6:27 pm, "betsyb" wrote:
--
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

They're pretty little scarabs. Maybe you could make jewelry out of them
or something. If they weren't so prolific we'd probably be happy to see
them around now and then.

I hope your tree gets better soon!

Old 21-07-2007, 04:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

ups.com...

" wrote:
[...]

Last year, I used an obnoxious smelling homemade onion & hot pepper spray on
my grape vines. The beetles were gone the next day and never returned. That
it worked so well makes no sense, but it did work.