Old 03-08-2003, 08:12 PM
hugo agogo

Default Something's eating our Rattes!

Being new to this gardening lark (at least in this country), the Head
Gardener and I thought we would plant five varieties of potato to see
how they fare. Our allotment in SW London was in a hell of state when
we got it last year, and potatoes would be a good way of cleaning the
soil too. So we prepared the beds with plenty of manure, chitted the
potatoes and planted them during April. Earlies were Epicure and
Ballydoon, second earlies were Kestrel and Saxon, and Main Crop were
Ratte.

Having had very acceptable results so far with the earlies and second
earlies, we were keen to know how the Rattes were getting on, and
being unable to contain our curiosity any longer, we lifted one plant
this morning. They were sown on 18 April (15 weeks ago), and we
weren't sure when we should harvest them. The haulms withered some
weeks ago, but our books indicate that main crop potatoes should not
be lifted until Sept/Oct, or 22 weeks, if being stored for future use
(we still have plenty of the second earlies left for immediate
eating).

Anyway, upon cleaning the potatoes, we were a bit dismayed to find
that something had been nibbling away at a few of them. All damage
was on the surface to about 1/4 inch deep, and didn't affect the rest
of the potato. Consulting our books and the internet, we couldn't
establish what it might be. Slugs would be unlikely for Ratte,
especially with this warm, relatively dry weather we've been having in
SE England, and so early in the year.

When we were digging the potatoes we came across a monster chafer
grub. Clearly it had to have been eating something in the ground, but
I can find no reference to chafer grubs attacking potatoes.

What might be eating our Rattes? Would it be the chafer grub? If so,
and on the basis that where there is one chafer grub, there are likely
to be more (we have come across quite a few in our soil), what can we
do about it? Should we lift the lot? (Presumably the tubers will
have stopped growing when the haulms withered away.)

All advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:04 AM
bnd777

"hugo agogo" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Monster Chafer grub would be a Cock Chafer as to whether they eat potatoes I
dont know

Old 05-08-2003, 04:22 AM
shannie

"hugo agogo" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Could it have been wireworms??...They are the larvae of the click beetle and
can be in the soil for up to four years after first cultivation. We have
lots here. Have you seen any small orange wormy sort of creatures, about
half the length of a match and a little thinner??..if so that could be them.
If it is them you'll need to lift the crop because they'll just keep at the
potatoes, they love carrotts and swedes too, basically any root crop.

Shannie

Old 07-08-2003, 12:32 AM
hugo agogo

"shannie" wrote in message ...
"hugo agogo" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Thanks for that, Shannie. However, it doesn't look like wireworms to
me - not at all like the picture and description in the good doctor's
book. Actually, I'm pretty sure it is the chafer grub. I lifted
another Ratte yesterday, and it was the same story as the first one.
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a grub under each one of our
Ratte plants!

For anyone who is interested (not many, judging by previous responses)
I googled and found a reference to chafer grubs eating potatoes at

http://www.inra.fr/Internet/Produits...UR/6melmel.htm

According to this link, these large chafer grubs are in the second
year of their cycle, and are about to pupate.

So, some more questions: Did the haulms wither after about 12 weeks
because of the chafer grub? Will the potatoes grow any more after the
haulms have withered? ie is there any point in leaving the potatoes
in the ground for another 6-7 weeks? Or will we just be feeding the
cockchafer population, if we do?

Our inclination is to lift the lot and store them, but we would be
most grateful to receive other people's thoughts before we do.