Old 30-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Registered User

Location: North Herts
Default clogged drainpipes!!! :o(

My drainpipes and gutters are forever getting clogged with leaves and moss etc, anyone got any helpful, hassle-free hints to stop this happening!????

I've heard about drainpipe filters, www.drainpipe.biz, are they any good?

Cheers )
Old 30-07-2007, 09:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

billiebobuk wrote:

My drainpipes and gutters are forever getting clogged with leaves and
moss etc, anyone got any helpful, hassle-free hints to stop this
happening!????

I've heard about drainpipe filters, www.drainpipe.biz, are they any
good?

Cheers )

Never saw that one before so can't swear it will or won't work. Odds are
good you will still get the clog and now water will be diverted at all.
Best way I've see is to have something at the top of the drainpipe to
keep stuff from going down in it. Wire screening or something of that
nature. Some companies in the USA sell a wire or plastic screen to cover
the top of the rain gutter itself that pretty much stops clogging. Might
be your best bet to look for something like that in the UK. HTH

George

Old 02-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Registered User

Location: North Herts

Oh I've always found those guards which stop any debris going down the drainpipe to be more harm than good, as you are then forced to climb a ladder to clear it yourself or pay to get someone to do it for you.

According to this www.drainpipe.biz site, they say their product eliminates the need to climb ladders, which according to government stats is dangerous work!

The product is called 'GutterMate', and it's deisgned to allow for safe, easy and fast gutter cleaning, at groundlevel. The website specifically says that the use of the balloon/bell shaped guards fitted as standard at the top of the drainpipe are incredibly detrimental.

Sounds quite good really, what do you think?

Sarah )

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Shirley View Post

Old 02-08-2007, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 30, 10:47?am, billiebobuk billiebobuk.
wrote:
My drainpipes and gutters are forever getting clogged with leaves and
moss etc, anyone got any helpful, hassle-free hints to stop this
happening!????

Most roofing, siding, gutter contractors will clean gutters for a
nominal fee... there's a fellow in my area that cleans my gutters and
downspout clogs for $30... at this point I don't need to be present...
he stops before winter, on his way to or from his regular jobs, I mail
his check. I haven't actually seen him now in three years. He does a
nice clean job. I know he was there becaue he leaves a plastic
garbage bag with all the stuff he cleans out... in my case mostly pine
needles, small twigs and pine cones. I think it's much cheaper to
have someone clean your gutters once or twice a year rather than mess
with all sorts of rube goldberg screen devices, none of which actually
work very well, many are costly and don't last very long.