Old 11-09-2008, 06:23 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Clogged pump hose

How are you people cleaning out your long pump hoses? The one to the filt
er
in our large pond is clogged and we have nothing long enough to shove dow
it to clean out the slime or whatever has the water to a near trickle.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Depends on the diameter. We have used a hose with one of those baloon
attachments and we have used a hose pure and simple. How far a run do
you have to get it clear?

Jim

Old 11-09-2008, 11:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:
Depends on the diameter. We have used a hose with one of those baloon
attachments and we have used a hose pure and simple. How far a run do
you have to get it clear?

Jim

I find hose backwashing helps the best. If the stuff is clogged,
putting water the same way as usual just jams it in tighter. I also
have used the balloon drain flusher effectively, again from the back
side. If very few actual 90 degree bends, a long snake can be tried
from either or both ends.

Chip

Old 12-09-2008, 02:26 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Good point, Chip. I forgot to mention the backflush direction!

Jim

Old 12-09-2008, 02:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
Depends on the diameter. We have used a hose with one of those baloon
attachments and we have used a hose pure and simple. How far a run do
you have to get it clear?

===========================We figured out the problem. It wasn't the hose itself but a narrow area
where the water goes into the filter on the Tetra Filters. Plant debris w
as
clogged there because we didn't put the "clam basket" on the pump last ti
me.
We pulled up the pump, cleaned it out, put it back in a basket, clea
ned
out the filter's intake fitting and it was like new. We didn't realize t
he
clog was at the filter intake.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Reel McKoi" wrote ..
=How are you people cleaning out your long pump hoses?
=The one to the filter in our large pond is clogged and we
=have nothing long enough to shove down it to clean out
=the slime or whatever has the water to a near trickle.
=RM....
=Frugal ponding since 1995.
=rec.ponder since late 1996.
=Zone 6. Middle TN USA

If you have not solved it already,
I'd take out my air compressor and tank,
air hose with blunt nozzle, and "backflush".
(At first turning regulator down to near 30 p.s.i. ,
and only if needed on up in pressure ratings.)
(Do not have anyone you do not wish to offend
((or embarass, torment, irritate, dirty, or humble)),
standing 'downstream' of other hose end!!!
(("Oh Dear! Did I cause all that slimy gunk
to splatter all over you? I'm sorry, really I am.")) )

Now I know, most do not have a compressor
and tank, but if you think about your friends
and neighbors (think "car guy" or "painting guy")
I'd betcha one fairly close and handy.

~~~~ }((((* ~~~ }{{{{(ö

Neat logo / tag line!

Old 13-09-2008, 05:46 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"a425couple" wrote in message
. ..
"Reel McKoi" wrote ..
=w are you people cleaning out your long pump hoses?
=e one to the filter in our large pond is clogged and we
=ve nothing long enough to shove down it to clean out
=e slime or whatever has the water to a near trickle.
=....
=ugal ponding since 1995.
=c.ponder since late 1996.
=ne 6. Middle TN USA

If you have not solved it already,
I'd take out my air compressor and tank,
air hose with blunt nozzle, and "backflush".
(At first turning regulator down to near 30 p.s.i. ,
and only if needed on up in pressure ratings.)
(Do not have anyone you do not wish to offend
((or embarass, torment, irritate, dirty, or humble)),
standing 'downstream' of other hose end!!!
(("Oh Dear! Did I cause all that slimy gunk
to splatter all over you? I'm sorry, really I am.")) )

* LOL!!!! We do have an air compressor and power washer. If
the hose itself clogs that's an excellent idea. :-)

Now I know, most do not have a compressor
and tank, but if you think about your friends
and neighbors (think "car guy" or "painting guy")
I'd betcha one fairly close and handy.

*Actually we have BOTH. :-))
--

RM....