Old 31-07-2007, 10:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What's this odd leaf? ? ?

The leaf at this link blew onto our porch today. Can anyone identify it?

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4xpgq/leaf.jpg

Old 31-07-2007, 10:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

In message ,
lid writes
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 21:11:18 GMT, "Ray"
wrote:

The leaf at this link blew onto our porch today. Can anyone identify it?

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4xpgq/leaf.jpg

Looks like a type of Linden

http://hflp.sdstate.edu/IMAGES/Linden%20samara.jpg

Charlie

Correct, but technically it's not a leaf, but a partial infructescence.
The leaf-like component is a bract.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 01-08-2007, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 21:11:18 GMT, Ray wrote:
The leaf at this link blew onto our porch today. Can anyone identify it?

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4xpgq/leaf.jpg

It's a fruit and subtending bract from a Tilia -- linden or lime or basswood
are common names.

Kay

Old 01-08-2007, 06:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

In message pxPri.9286$Kk4.2753@trndny09, Ray
writes
Many thanks. If I plant it, will it grow into a tree?

Possibly. In Britain the commoner limes (lindens) (Tilia cordata, Tilia
platyphyllos, Tilia x vulgaris) rarely produce viable seed. I don't know
what the case is with those taxa in your locality, or with other taxa,
such as Tilia americana, in your locality.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 02-08-2007, 12:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote in news:
:

In message pxPri.9286$Kk4.2753@trndny09, Ray
writes
Many thanks. If I plant it, will it grow into a tree?

Possibly. In Britain the commoner limes (lindens) (Tilia cordata, Tilia
platyphyllos, Tilia x vulgaris) rarely produce viable seed. I don't know
what the case is with those taxa in your locality, or with other taxa,
such as Tilia americana, in your locality.

The Linden smells divine when it blooms. The drawback is that it is a
favorite orgy spot for Japanese Beetles on the make. If you could charge
those little, horny things admission to the make-out tree, you could retire
in short order.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
FragileWarrior wrote:

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote in news:
:

In message pxPri.9286$Kk4.2753@trndny09, Ray
writes
Many thanks. If I plant it, will it grow into a tree?

Possibly. In Britain the commoner limes (lindens) (Tilia cordata, Tilia
platyphyllos, Tilia x vulgaris) rarely produce viable seed. I don't know
what the case is with those taxa in your locality, or with other taxa,
such as Tilia americana, in your locality.

The Linden smells divine when it blooms. The drawback is that it is a
favorite orgy spot for Japanese Beetles on the make. If you could charge
those little, horny things admission to the make-out tree, you could retire
in short order.

Be sure to give them the hourly rate;-)
--
FB - FFF