Old 12-08-2007, 11:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default How to make lawn greener?

We are planning on putting our house on the market in 3-4 weeks. The
large lawn needs some work to improve its looks. The front lawn is
thick and free of weeds. But even with frequent watering, it is looking
brownish-yellow in a few areas. Maybe it needs some fertilizer. If so,
what kind would be best?

Our back lawn is green enough. But in areas that we replanted grass a
couple of months ago, a lot of weeds (look like small dandelions) have
appeared. Is there some type of treatment that would take care of the
weeds quickly?

We live in Western Washington near Olympia. The weather has been very
mild with highs in the mid-70s and lows in the mid-50's, partially
cloudy with only occasional showers. Thanks for any advice.
Old 13-08-2007, 12:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 14:15:53 -0800, tenplay wrote:

We are planning on putting our house on the market in 3-4 weeks. The
large lawn needs some work to improve its looks. The front lawn is
thick and free of weeds. But even with frequent watering, it is looking
brownish-yellow in a few areas. Maybe it needs some fertilizer. If so,
what kind would be best?

Our back lawn is green enough. But in areas that we replanted grass a
couple of months ago, a lot of weeds (look like small dandelions) have
appeared. Is there some type of treatment that would take care of the
weeds quickly?

We live in Western Washington near Olympia. The weather has been very
mild with highs in the mid-70s and lows in the mid-50's, partially
cloudy with only occasional showers. Thanks for any advice.

I'd use ammonium sulfate. Cheap, quick, will give the green color you
want. Unless your grass is short of iron, a local nursery should be
able to tell you if that's likely.

For the weeds, I'd use a quick acting broadleaf weed killer spray,
look for something that promises 24 hour action.

The purists in the group will hate me for giving this advice.
Old 13-08-2007, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

"tenplay" wrote in message
. ..
We are planning on putting our house on the market in 3-4 weeks. The large
lawn needs some work to improve its looks. The front lawn is thick and free
of weeds. But even with frequent watering, it is looking brownish-yellow in a
few areas. Maybe it needs some fertilizer. If so, what kind would be best?

Our back lawn is green enough. But in areas that we replanted grass a couple
of months ago, a lot of weeds (look like small dandelions) have appeared. Is
there some type of treatment that would take care of the weeds quickly?

We live in Western Washington near Olympia. The weather has been very mild
with highs in the mid-70s and lows in the mid-50's, partially cloudy with only
occasional showers. Thanks for any advice.

Apply a high nitrogen fertilizer and water it in well. You could use a
weed-n-feed type (don't water for a few days) where the weeds are, spot spray
with something like weed-b-gon, or just spend a couple hours plucking them, They
pull out relatively easy when small. Applying lime will likely help since soils
tend to be acidic here. Grass can't use the nitrogen well if the soil is too
acidic. Fertilize soon, and you might have good results in a few weeks.

Mow it long and it will look greener quicker, and will need less water.

Bob

Old 13-08-2007, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

If you fertilize with magnesium I hear it will create a greener lawn. The
center of every chlorophyll is magnesium. Just a thought.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

. ..

Old 13-08-2007, 03:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 12, 6:15?pm, tenplay wrote:
We are planning on putting our house on the market in 3-4 weeks. The
large lawn needs some work to improve its looks. The front lawn is
thick and free of weeds. But even with frequent watering, it is looking
brownish-yellow in a few areas. Maybe it needs some fertilizer. If so,
what kind would be best?

Our back lawn is green enough. But in areas that we replanted grass a
couple of months ago, a lot of weeds (look like small dandelions) have
appeared. Is there some type of treatment that would take care of the
weeds quickly?

We live in Western Washington near Olympia. The weather has been very
mild with highs in the mid-70s and lows in the mid-50's, partially
cloudy with only occasional showers. Thanks for any advice.

Lawn grass should be easy to grow in your climate. Lay down a light
top dressing of bagged topsoil and treat with Scotts Turf Builder +2.
Mow twice a week with a mulching blade set at 2". Within two weeks
you'll have the prettiest lawn in the county.

Old 14-08-2007, 06:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

get dolomitic lime. get the liquid and spray it on. it has calcium
and magnesium. if all else fails.... green paint, I think they got
something they use for lawns. Ingrid

Old 14-08-2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 14:15:53 -0800, tenplay wrote:
We are planning on putting our house on the market in 3-4 weeks. The
large lawn needs some work to improve its looks. The front lawn is
thick and free of weeds. But even with frequent watering, it is looking
brownish-yellow in a few areas. Maybe it needs some fertilizer. If so,
what kind would be best?

What species of grasses do you have?. And is your mower blade sharp?

Our back lawn is green enough. But in areas that we replanted grass a
couple of months ago, a lot of weeds (look like small dandelions) have
appeared. Is there some type of treatment that would take care of the
weeds quickly?

Hawkweeds. Water well, grab and pull. Overseed.