Old 17-08-2007, 12:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Default Red Mulch Update

I know the very thought of unscientific results being reported in this
newsgroup drives some bonkers - tough tookies.

My very unscientific experiment with red mulch (compared to many,
many, many years of growing tomatoes around here) has been a rousing
success. I have virtually no blight. I have tons of tomatoes. Why
the hell did I plant 15 plants? Hehehe. Seriously, the red mulch
seems to work. I have no idea if black would do as well, it wasn't on
sale )
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 17-08-2007, 01:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

Ann

The red mulch does not seem to be composted. I would say it was closer to
fresh chips rather than com,posted wood. I personally would never use red
mulch, unless it was composted red wood, on a clients property. Its nice
how the dark, well composted wood chips and leaves are against the lawns.
Of course you are talking about tomatoes. The mulch we use in tree care is
composted wood chips and leaves and of course there are needles as well. It
is a dark color which fades to dark brown.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 17-08-2007, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"symplastless" expounded:

The red mulch does not seem to be composted. I would say it was closer to
fresh chips rather than com,posted wood. I personally would never use red
mulch, unless it was composted red wood, on a clients property. Its nice
how the dark, well composted wood chips and leaves are against the lawns.
Of course you are talking about tomatoes. The mulch we use in tree care is
composted wood chips and leaves and of course there are needles as well. It
is a dark color which fades to dark brown.

Huh? Red *plastic* mulch, John. We had discussed it earlier in the
newsgroup. I would never touch that fake red bark mulch, nor do I
think it's attractive or ever necessary.