Old 19-08-2007, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Planting Vegetable in Fall

When the summer is going to end and the fall will begin very soon,
it's a bit hard to think what to plant. It's not easy to find suitable
plants for the cool fall. However, it's not hard because there are
many choices you can choose.

WHAT TO PLANT In general, vegetables that grow best in cool weather
are leafy greens, root crops and various members of the cabbage
family.

When choosing cultivars for harvesting in the cooler temperatures and
shorter days of fall, look for characteristics such as cold hardiness
and quick maturity. Some cold hardy cultivars for broccoli are
'Waltham' and 'Green Valiant'; for Brussels sprouts there is 'Jade
Cross'; for cabbage, 'Danish Ballhead' and 'Savoy Ace'; for
cauliflower, 'Violet Queen' and 'Snow Crown'; for lettuce there are
many choices: 'Black-Seeded Simpson,' 'Four Seasons,' 'Oak Leaf,'
'Salad Bowl'; for peas, there is 'Wando' and for carrots, 'Napoli.'
Check seed catalogs for other recommended cold tolerant varieties.

In addition, garlic can be planted two to four weeks before the first
frost for harvest the following summer. Shallots can be planted after
the first frost. Don't plant earlier because any top growth they may
send up will be damaged by winter cold.

Fact and Information about cactus & succulent and another plant :
http://cactuslover.blogspot.com

O My Garden Place to learn more gardening and planting for lovely
garden: www.omygarden.net

WHEN TO PLANT According to the Penn State Master Gardener Manual, the
average date for the first fall frost in the York-Adams County area is
October 10. The average date for the first hard frost--with
temperatures of 25 degrees or lower--occur around November 10, so you
have quite a bit of growing time left for vegetables that are planted
in August. Spinach and other greens may even be planted in September.
All the vegetables listed above can easily survive a light frost if
provided with some kind of protection, and some can even make it
through a hard frost.

To protect from frost, keep an ear tuned to your local nightly weather
forecast during late September and early October. When frost is
predicted, be ready with some kind of protection. Options range from
commercially manufactured row covers, cloches, polyethylene blankets,
and corrugated fiberglass covers to simple household items like used
gallon milk jugs with their bottoms removed and old towels and bed
sheets thrown over plants the evening that frost is forecast.

HOW TO PLANT When planting seeds for your fall garden, keep in mind
that conditions are different for summer planting. Rains are usually
infrequent but heavy rather than frequent but light. Provide constant
soil moisture for good germination and to get your plants well
established. Plant seeds deeper than in the spring so they will be in
a moister and cooler layer of the soil. Provide shade for any
transplants until they become acclimated to the outside garden. It is
also a good idea to shade newly emerging seedlings until most have
germinated and/or the weather has cooled. I simply place an old piece
of lattice on top of some bricks until the seeds are up and going
strong.

To increase seed germination, water the planting area with a fine mist
30 minutes before you plant. This lowers the soil temperature and
creates the conditions that cool-season crops prefer. If the weather
is unordinarily sunny and hot, a good technique to regulate soil
temperature is to water the bed well and cover with several inches of
straw, then water again. You can remove the straw after a few days and
plant your seeds in the cool soil.

Old 19-08-2007, 04:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

muaythai wrote:
When the summer is going to end and the fall will begin very soon,
it's a bit hard to think what to plant.

It's not easy to find suitable plants for the cool fall.
However, it's not hard because there are many choices you
can choose.

How can it be not easy and not hard?!?!?

It's already becoming cooler here in upstate NY... was in the low 40s
last night... yesterday I planted bok choy and napa.

Old 20-08-2007, 02:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

"O My Garden" wrote in message
oups.com...
When the summer is going to end and the fall will begin very soon,
it's a bit hard to think what to plant. It's not easy to find suitable
plants for the cool fall. However, it's not hard because there are
many choices you can choose.

Groan. If your knowledge of growing is as good as your logic why would we
be reading this. You might also consider that this is an international
forum before launching into generalisations again. Not everybody lives in
northern hemisphere cool temperate areas.

David

Old 21-08-2007, 04:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 19, 8:07 pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
"O My Garden" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

When the summer is going to end and the fall will begin very soon,
it's a bit hard to think what to plant. It's not easy to find suitable
plants for the cool fall. However, it's not hard because there are
many choices you can choose.

Groan. If your knowledge of growing is as good as your logic why would we
be reading this. You might also consider that this is an international
forum before launching into generalisations again. Not everybody lives in
northern hemisphere cool temperate areas.

David

....but some of us are. I found it informative and helpful.

cheers

oz

Old 22-08-2007, 01:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 20:50:30 -0700, MajorOz
wrote:

On Aug 19, 8:07 pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
"O My Garden" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

When the summer is going to end and the fall will begin very soon,
it's a bit hard to think what to plant. It's not easy to find suitable
plants for the cool fall. However, it's not hard because there are
many choices you can choose.

Groan. If your knowledge of growing is as good as your logic why would we
be reading this. You might also consider that this is an international
forum before launching into generalisations again. Not everybody lives in
northern hemisphere cool temperate areas.

David

...but some of us are. I found it informative and helpful.

cheers

oz

And down here in Texas we are planting the brassica's lettuce,
radishes, leeks, garlic, onions, etc. We plant our second crop of
tomatoes in late July for fall harvest.

Old 30-08-2007, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 19, 10:57 am, O My Garden wrote:
[...]

For additional reading about "How to grow a winter Garden" go to
www.raised-garden-bed.com/Chapt4.html
The information is excellent.
Cheers,
Johnny

Old 30-08-2007, 08:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 02:06:43 -0000, Johnny wrote:

[...]

To increase seed germination, water the planting area with a fine mist
30 minutes before you plant. This lowers the soil temperature and
creates the conditions that cool-season crops prefer. If the weather
is unordinarily sunny and hot, a good technique to regulate soil
temperature is to water the bed well and cover with several inches of
straw, then water again. You can remove the straw after a few days and
plant your seeds in the cool soil.

Very helpful! We are having inordinately hot weather here in So.Cal,
even on the coast.

I generally try to plant in late afternoon, but even so, the soil
is hot from all day. Hadn't thought of cooling the soil down!

Question: If I can't get hold of straw, what else could I use?

TIA

Persephone
Old 30-08-2007, 09:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Persephone
wrote:

[...]

Oak leaves, old news papers yada yada think mulch.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade