Old 19-08-2007, 06:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Coleus

I have 3 coleus plants and a friend said I could root them and keep
them in the house over the winter. Can you tell me when I should take
cuttings and how do I root them? Do I put the cuttings in water or do
I put them straight into a pot with soil after using rooting hormone?

Old 20-08-2007, 12:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2007-08-19 13:34:33 -0400, loonyhiker said:

I have 3 coleus plants and a friend said I could root them and keep
them in the house over the winter. Can you tell me when I should take
cuttings and how do I root them? Do I put the cuttings in water or do
I put them straight into a pot with soil after using rooting hormone?

Take cuttings ANY time. Remove lower 1/3 of leaves and stick in potting
soil. Keep moist. You can also start them in water and when the roots
get about an inch long transplant into potting soil. Hormone is NOT
needed.

Old 20-08-2007, 02:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks so much! Can you guess what I'm going to do tomorrow? LOL

Old 20-08-2007, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 10:34:33 -0700, loonyhiker wrote:
I have 3 coleus plants and a friend said I could root them and keep
them in the house over the winter. Can you tell me when I should take
cuttings and how do I root them? Do I put the cuttings in water or do

How fancy do you want to get with this? Chances are, you can root them in
water, but I have better luck with rooting in sand or perlite.

Make some cuttings about 4-6" long, with at least 3 nodes (areas where
leaves are/were attached). Make the cut just below the node.
Pinch out the terminal bud (which is tiny).
Remove the leaves from the lowest two nodes. Push the stems into some
moist sand or perlite (make a hole with a pencil in the sand for the stem
-- you can just shove the stems into perlite). Keep the rooting medium
moist and you might spray the cuttings with water a few times a day.
In about three weeks, the cuttings shouldn't want to pop out when you
tug on them lightly... they're ready to pot up.

One of the slightly fancier things to do to help the rooting process along
(if you're slightly absent minded, as I can be) is to get a small clay
pot, unglazed, and put a cork in the hole in the bottom. Fill up a bigger
glazed pot with sand or perlite, and sink the unglazed pot up to its rim
in the sand or perlite. Fill the unglazed pot with water; poke your cuttings
into the sand or perlite between the two pots for rooting. The unglazed
pot will act as a water reservoir for the rooting medium.

Old 20-08-2007, 11:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

This sounds pretty cool! Does the water just seep through the sides of
the unglazed pot into the sand? I may try that because it sounds like
fun and I'm pretty absent minded!

Old 21-08-2007, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 03:59:34 -0700, loonyhiker wrote:
This sounds pretty cool! Does the water just seep through the sides of
the unglazed pot into the sand? I may try that because it sounds like
fun and I'm pretty absent minded!

Yup, that's how it works. You can also do the same sort of thing with
an unglazed pot or cylinder (I used to make them in pottery class)
stuck into a big potted plant for a water reservoir.

Kay