Old 24-08-2007, 04:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Too late to plant herbs?

Is it too late to plant herbs and perennials? Or perhaps a different way to
say this, is there a better time this year to plant herbs and perennials?
Specifically I'm thinking of Thyme and Echinacea. That plot of land that I
discussed in this group a while back is ready, minus some more soil, and I'd
like to get something in the ground so that in the spring its can do its own
thing.

Old 24-08-2007, 11:40 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"Eigenvector" expounded:

Is it too late to plant herbs and perennials? Or perhaps a different way to
say this, is there a better time this year to plant herbs and perennials?
Specifically I'm thinking of Thyme and Echinacea. That plot of land that I
discussed in this group a while back is ready, minus some more soil, and I'd
like to get something in the ground so that in the spring its can do its own
thing.

It would help if you'd tell where you're located. Most likely this
is a good time to get them in the ground so they can establish
themselves before winter.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 24-08-2007, 01:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

It would help if you'd tell where you're located.

True. This all assumes northern hemisphere, and exact dates may vary
depending on how much time you have until cold weather arrives.

Most likely this is a good time to get them in the ground so they can
establish themselves before winter.

Yes, but don't wait too long. As soon as the summer heat is (mostly)
abated, which would be around now or a few weeks from now most places,
is my favorite time for fall planting. Ideally, you'd plant when the
weather forecast calls for several days of clouds and/or rain. If
the plants get hit with heat/sun, just water a lot for the first few
days/weeks and perhaps even try shading with shadecloth or the like
(until the plants stop drooping. The Echinacea will droop quite
visibly, and although it won't really perk up until its roots get
established, it will appreciate the water during this period. Once it
stops dropping, I stop watering it).

Thyme I think is pretty forgiving. At least, I don't think I've
killed one yet. But I don't really remember what times of year I
planted each of them.
Old 24-08-2007, 02:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jim Kingdon" wrote in message
news
[...]

Thanks all, I appreciate the help. I keep forgetting that you all don't
know who I am and where I live - Seattle. We're predicting full sunny days
today maybe tommorrow, then here comes the rain again.

Old 24-08-2007, 03:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Eigenvector" wrote:

Is it too late to plant herbs and perennials? Or perhaps a different way to
say this, is there a better time this year to plant herbs and perennials?
Specifically I'm thinking of Thyme and Echinacea. That plot of land that I
discussed in this group a while back is ready, minus some more soil, and I'd
like to get something in the ground so that in the spring its can do its own
thing.

In Seattle you can move field grown plants most any time. I would avoid
green house grown plants. Enjoy!
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://rhodyman.net/rahome.html

Old 24-08-2007, 03:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Eigenvector" wrote:
Is it too late to plant herbs and perennials? Or perhaps a different way to
say this, is there a better time this year to plant herbs and perennials?
Specifically I'm thinking of Thyme and Echinacea. That plot of land that I
discussed in this group a while back is ready, minus some more soil, and I'd
like to get something in the ground so that in the spring its can do its own
thing.

Perennials do very well planted through late fall, as do perennial
herbs.... a good time to pick up bargains from nurserys, as they need
to be planted before the ground freezes.

Old 24-08-2007, 07:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Well we'll see how they do. 4 lemon thyme plants and 3 echinaceas and about
4 bags of compost tilled in.

Old 24-08-2007, 09:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 20:38:56 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

Is it too late to plant herbs and perennials? Or perhaps a different way to
say this, is there a better time this year to plant herbs and perennials?
Specifically I'm thinking of Thyme and Echinacea. That plot of land that I
discussed in this group a while back is ready, minus some more soil, and I'd
like to get something in the ground so that in the spring its can do its own
thing.

Our winters are mild, summers are long hot and dry. Perennials
planted in the fall seem to do better. In another climate planting
times can be different.

[IMG] code is On

How late is too late? ZeroWing North Carolina 3 20-06-2005 12:24 AM
Artemisia 'Powis Castle' - late or late? Tyra Trevellyn Gardening 0 05-05-2004 05:05 AM
How late is too late? FBCS Ponds 12 29-08-2003 01:04 AM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too lois Lawns 0 27-08-2003 03:24 AM