Old 26-08-2007, 03:39 PM
Registered User

Default SOS with Sand stone flag stones

I have these awful sand stone flag stones as a patio.
I did not put them down my Dad did. I have moved into my parents old house with my kids.
Knowing my Dad they were probably very expensive and look really nice but are always dirty. Because they are soft they seem to permanently be dirty & dusty. My crawling baby gets so mucky crawling on them that I have banned him & my toddler from the garden because of these awful flags.

Other than rip them up & relay bog standard cheap & cheerful concrete (it is a really large area & surrounds the house) is there anything I can do.

Is there a sealant or masonry type paint that I could use?

Please help ????

Mummy & babies x
Old 26-08-2007, 09:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Tamujiin wrote:

I have these awful sand stone flag stones as a patio.
I did not put them down my Dad did. I have moved into my parents old
house with my kids.
Knowing my Dad they were probably very expensive and look really nice
but are always dirty. Because they are soft they seem to permanently be
dirty & dusty. My crawling baby gets so mucky crawling on them that I
have banned him & my toddler from the garden because of these awful
flags.

Other than rip them up & relay bog standard cheap & cheerful concrete
(it is a really large area & surrounds the house) is there anything I
can do.

Is there a sealant or masonry type paint that I could use?

Please help ????

Mummy & babies x

Soft maybe because the traction when wet was a safety feature.

Just Guessing.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 26-08-2007, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 15:39:41 +0100, Tamujiin
wrote:

I have these awful sand stone flag stones as a patio.
I did not put them down my Dad did. I have moved into my parents old
house with my kids.
Knowing my Dad they were probably very expensive and look really nice
but are always dirty. Because they are soft they seem to permanently be
dirty & dusty. My crawling baby gets so mucky crawling on them that I
have banned him & my toddler from the garden because of these awful
flags.

Other than rip them up & relay bog standard cheap & cheerful concrete
(it is a really large area & surrounds the house) is there anything I
can do.

Is there a sealant or masonry type paint that I could use?

Please help ????

Mummy & babies x

The sealers I've used don't seem to last very long, a few months at
most. A pressure washer would clean them. If the sandstone is
disintegrating, turning back into sand then it's a real problem, time
for a professional.