Old 01-09-2007, 03:35 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

Default Acorn squash cross

Know what happens when you grow 6 or 7 different types of squash in your
garden and then take an acorn squash and save the seeds and plant them the
next year? So far I have:

Scallop/acorn cross - funniest looking squast I've ever seen lol.
Crookneck/acorn cross
zuchinni/acorn cross
Pumpkin?/acorn cross. Not really sure about this one, but the vine is 10
feet long, growing like a pumpking vine, and setting large round pumpkin
like fruit. Have to wait a week or so to see what they are going to do.

They fruit are very identifiable as the base type, and they are also ribbed
like an acorn squash. Quite funny looking. Moral of the story - squash will
cross with other squash LOL.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the Don't
send me any freakin' spam wrote in message
news
Know what happens when you grow 6 or 7 different types of squash in your
garden and then take an acorn squash and save the seeds and plant them the
next year? So far I have:

Scallop/acorn cross - funniest looking squast I've ever seen lol.
Crookneck/acorn cross
zuchinni/acorn cross
Pumpkin?/acorn cross. Not really sure about this one, but the vine is 10 feet
long, growing like a pumpking vine, and setting large round pumpkin like
fruit. Have to wait a week or so to see what they are going to do.

They fruit are very identifiable as the base type, and they are also ribbed
like an acorn squash. Quite funny looking. Moral of the story - squash will
cross with other squash LOL.

So where are the pics?

Bob

Old 01-09-2007, 01:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 31, 11:58?pm, "Bob F" wrote:
[...]

Same happened with my squash... decided to cook a few just last week,
actually very tasty and very nice texture (kind of a blend between
butternut and spaghetti squash), even the skin is thin and edible...
sliced into wedges and grilled.

http://i11.tinypic.com/4q55l3s.jpg

http://i12.tinypic.com/631hsp2.jpg

http://i4.tinypic.com/678rev9.jpg

Old 01-09-2007, 06:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

I planted them in a row, next to each other, thinking I would get a row of
acorn squash. Last year my acorn squash were small vining plants. These are
not small vining plants! There are about a half dozen plants all crowded
together.
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF0852.JPG

3 weeks prior:
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF0770.JPG

Scallop/acorn cross

This is the best one so far. The size and color is right, but it has the
ribbing that most of the acorn crosses have, and it's pointed on the end.
The scallop squash I grew last year had some natural ribbing, but nowhere
near as pronounced as this, and they were not pointed on the end.
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF0833.JPG

Crookneck/acorn cross

This one is not quite as dramatic, but you can see the green tint, and
slight ribbing. The second pic is a normal squash.
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF0850.JPG
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF0849.JPG

zuchinni/acorn cross

Again, you can see the ribbing from the acorn influence, plus it is short
and blunt, not long and skinny like zuchinnis are.
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF0842.JPG

These are new, they look like acorn squash, but the color is off. I'll watch
them to see how they develop.
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF0853.JPG

Pumpkin/acorn cross? These fines are already 12 feet long and growing like
crazy. The fruit is round, just like my pumpkins. No sign of ribbing yet.
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF0855.JPG

What is noteworthy of these, is that the seeds for *all* of these came out
of an ordinary looking acorn squash. Who would have thought that all of this
would come out of a normal acorn squash? I wish now I would have planted 30
of these, just to see what kind of variety I would get. The plants are large
and quite vigorous. I think that I will save some of the fruit and plant
them next year to see what I get. The variety is a surprise, but so far they
are very edible.

All of the pics
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/2007AugustGarden5/

Old 01-09-2007, 11:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

Fascinating! I've also heard that if you grow potato seeds you get a different
potato with each one.

Thanks for the pics.

Bob

Old 05-09-2007, 11:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

Ook said:

What is noteworthy of these, is that the seeds for *all* of these came out
of an ordinary looking acorn squash. Who would have thought that all of
this would come out of a normal acorn squash? I wish now I would have
planted 30 of these, just to see what kind of variety I would get. The
plants are large and quite vigorous. I think that I will save some of the
fruit and plant them next year to see what I get. The variety is a surprise,
but so far they are very edible.

Summer squashes (zucchini, crookneck, patty pan), acorn, delicata,
sweet potato squash, typical pumpkins* (and mini-pumpkins), and
spaghetti squash are all the same species (Cucurbita pepo) and will
cross easily. (There are some gourds that are also C. pepo and can
be quite bitter and very hard-shelled. If one of those crosses in,
the results will be inedible.)

The pepper squashes come in such a variety of shapes, colors and
vine lengths that you never know what they will result after a
random gene shuffle in your vegetable garden. Could be excellent,
could be super stringy, could be bland or could be so bitter you'll
spend the rest of the day trying to get that one taste out of your mouth.
(I speak from experience.)

*There are a few varieties of 'pumpkins' that are actually buttercup
squashes (the 'giant' types, and the blue and white pumpkins, the
'Cinderella' pumpkins). These are of the species C. maxima and are
distinguished by the rounded, corky-looking stems and may have a
'button' at the blossom end. There are a few tan colored 'pumpkins'
which are varieties of butternut squash, C. moschata. And then there
are the 'neck pumpkins' or cushaws (C. mixta).

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 06-09-2007, 04:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 31, 11:58?pm, "Bob F" wrote:
[...]

Lot's of weird squash in today's harvest:
http://i4.tinypic.com/54d3jh3.jpg

Old 02-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Registered User

I planted a row of them next to each other, thought I would get a row of acorn squash. Last year I acorn squash, small Vining plants. Becoming plants these are not small! About half a dozen plants are crowded together.
Pond Liners

[IMG] code is On

Compact Acorn Squash Bill Litchfield Edible Gardening 3 17-09-2004 04:43 PM
When to pick acorn squash? nutNhoney Edible Gardening 3 19-08-2004 03:20 PM
Acorn Squash Blues Ma Edible Gardening 6 31-07-2004 06:29 PM
Acorn Squash Blues Ma Edible Gardening 0 27-07-2004 01:57 PM
oak acorn bread Human civilization is based on the staple acorn! Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:24 PM