Old 06-09-2007, 09:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What would eat a yellow jacket nest

After digging it up. I never saw the live nest as it was in the center of a
bed, but spotted the freshly turned soil this AM...

Cheryl

Old 06-09-2007, 10:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

After digging it up. I never saw the live nest as it was in
the center of a bed, but spotted the freshly turned soil
this AM...

skunk. they *love* yellowjacket larvae & this is the best
time to get the fat juicy ones.
my barn skunk seems to have died, or at least he's gone this
year. he has been living under the barn & eating with the barn
kitties for 5 years, which is about the lifespan of a wild
skunk... he has done an excellent job of yellowjacket control
over those 5 years & i miss seeing the "other black & white
cat" in the barn. if another moves in to replace him though, i
hope it has the same easygoing nature. my skunk never sprayed
in or near the barn, although he did occaisionally have
residual stink from an argument elsewhere
lee
Old 07-09-2007, 12:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

enigma wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

After digging it up. I never saw the live nest as it was in
the center of a bed, but spotted the freshly turned soil
this AM...

skunk. they *love* yellowjacket larvae & this is the best
time to get the fat juicy ones.
my barn skunk seems to have died, or at least he's gone this
year. he has been living under the barn & eating with the barn
kitties for 5 years, which is about the lifespan of a wild
skunk... he has done an excellent job of yellowjacket control
over those 5 years & i miss seeing the "other black & white
cat" in the barn. if another moves in to replace him though, i
hope it has the same easygoing nature. my skunk never sprayed
in or near the barn, although he did occaisionally have
residual stink from an argument elsewhere
lee

That's good to know. Few weeks ago I accidentally trapped a momma skunk
in my Hav-a-hart and she had 4 babies running around the trap. I
managed to release her without getting sprayed. There are a few extra
holes in the lawn and, now that you mention it, yellow jacket population
is down. I did have to get a new garbage can with a lock down lid
because they were getting into it.

Frank
Old 07-09-2007, 12:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 9/6/07 7:20 PM, in article ,
"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:

enigma wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

[...]

Now I just wish the skunks could get the nests that get started on my front
deck stairs or the mail box. Looks like it was big nest.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

yup. skunk. they go after bees as well. Ingrid

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 21:43:22 +0000 (UTC), enigma
wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

Old 07-09-2007, 04:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

lure them there with raw eggs set out for them. they love eggs.
Ingrid

Old 07-09-2007, 06:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

I once saw a raccoon go after a nest. He must have been pretty hungery

wrote in message
. com...
yup. skunk. they go after bees as well. Ingrid

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 21:43:22 +0000 (UTC), enigma
wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
: