Old 07-09-2007, 09:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

Default Key Lime tree

Last year I bought a 10 lb.bag of Key Limes to make REAL Key Lime pie. So
what does a gardener do with seeds? I planted them and the darned things
sprouted like crazy. I had LOTS of little key lime trees. I transplanted two
for my own and gave many, many away.The two I kept for my own were
transplanted to larger containers in July and have already more than doubled
in size. I had a friend with a Key Lime tree that would bloom in her house
and the scent was absolutely wonderful. She'd planted hers from seed and it
bloomed and produced fruit the 3rd year. She got her seed from a bartender
in Mexico who was making her drink. Key limes are about the size of a ping
pong ball and have a very intense flavor. When I started looking around to
buy one I was stunned by the $50 prices that seemed to be the norm for
retail.

I still have over a dozen left, they are 8-10 inches tall and very full and
healthy. I've had them out on my apartment balcony this summer but it will
soon be time to bring them in and I just don't have the room or the
containers to transplant and winter over. If anyone in the Seattle area (I
live in the north end) would like a nice healthy little Key Lime tree and
want to come pick it up drop me a line at valkyriemi at yahoo dot yadda
yadda and we can make arrangements for speedy adoptions. I really hate to
toss them out.

Val

Old 07-09-2007, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

..........and if you would happen to have some slips of Lady's Mantle, small
ferns, Coral Bells, little iris and such, any perennials for an exchange
would really be nice to add to my balcony garden. I'm also looking for a
variety of succulents to put in a little stone trough I acquired. The other
thing I've been looking for is a clump of the old fashioned "Pinks", the
(often a rockery plant around here) carnation with the intense clove
fragrance. Plant exchange is not at all necessary however, and I don't want
to be paid.....the little trees just need a home.

Val
"Val" wrote in message
[...]

[IMG] code is On

Key lime seedlings...transferring danny22 United Kingdom 8 14-12-2008 12:04 PM
key lime tree Val Gardening 8 23-03-2008 04:15 PM
Please recommend a good tree key Baja Fred Plant Science 1 27-07-2004 12:59 AM
the native lime (finger lime) John Savage Australia 3 02-04-2004 03:43 AM
the native lime (finger lime) John Savage Australia 0 10-03-2004 04:14 AM