Old 26-07-2004, 01:52 AM
Baja Fred

Default Please recommend a good tree key

I am looking for a good tree key and am not happy with the ones I have
looked at so far. I am interested in the area of eastern US and
Canada - mainly, I want the book to cover Ohio, but wider is fine.

When I took a basic botany course at Ohio State circa 1966, I had to
buy a tree key for the course and it was great. Unfortunately, I did
not keep it and I do not recall its name/author. I scanned OSU's
booklist for botany courses this coming term and no tree key book is
listed.

If anyone can point me to a really REALLY good one, I'd appreciate it.
I want a "decision-based" key, not the kind that I have been able to
locate so far.

Here are the five books that I have looked at so far.

The Tree Identification book by Symonds is the best so far, but I'd
really like a more step-by-step decision-based approach that drills
down to very specifics, including bud scars.

Field Guide to the Trees of Britain, Europe and North America

Ohio Trees by Dean

The tree key: a guide to identification in garden by Ed...

Trees: a guide to familiar American Trees by Zim

Thanks in advance.
Old 27-07-2004, 12:59 AM
David Hershey

This site has an online tree key:

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/

Here are some other choices:

Elbert Little's National Audubon Society Field Guide to Trees: Eastern
Region:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

George Petrides's A Field Guide to Trees and Shrubs : Northeastern and
north-central United States and southeastern and south-central Canada
(The Peterson Field Guide Series):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

William Harlow's Fruit Key and Twig Key to Trees and Shrubs
is dated but inexpensive:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

William Trelease's Winter Botany: An Identification Guide to Native
Trees and Shrubs
is another older, but economical guide:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Arthur Viertel's Trees, Shrubs and Vines; A Pictorial Guide to the
Ornamental Woody Plants of the Northern United States Exclusive of
Conifers

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

David R. Hershey

key lime tree Val Gardening 8 23-03-2008 04:15 PM
Key Lime tree Val Gardening 1 07-09-2007 10:07 PM
key requirements for good plant growth tropical freshwater plants Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 27-07-2004 08:03 AM
please recommend a good tree for backyard ctt Texas 1 29-04-2003 06:56 AM
Please recommend "good value for money" fungicide, fertilizer and insecticide Thomas Wong Orchids 1 28-02-2003 06:17 PM