Old 18-09-2007, 12:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default red banana pepper

Hello; garden newbie here.

This year I planted banana peppers, green and red peppers in one of my
raised beds. Out of the huge number of banana peppers I grew this
year, one banana pepper was red instead of yellow. It had a slightly
sweeter taste than the usual yellow banana peppers.

What would cause this to happen ... environmental conditions, some
kind of cross-pollination, or ?

Thanks in advance.

Old 18-09-2007, 04:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 17, 4:51 pm, Dave wrote:
Hello; garden newbie here.

This year I planted banana peppers, green and red peppers in one of my
raised beds. Out of the huge number of banana peppers I grew this
year, one banana pepper was red instead of yellow. It had a slightly
sweeter taste than the usual yellow banana peppers.

What would cause this to happen ... environmental conditions, some
kind of cross-pollination, or ?

Thanks in advance.

Dave - When I was at a local Farmer's market last Saturday morning, I
purchased some little sweet peppers, that came in yellow, orange, and
red! They were all shaped like banana peppers. I used them in a
Mango Chili Salsa, I made. And, they were wonderful!

Did you keep the seeds from that particular red pepper??? Maybe you
could develop your own hybrid!

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 18-09-2007, 12:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 17, 11:11 pm, Myrl wrote:
On Sep 17, 4:51 pm, Dave wrote:

Hello; garden newbie here.

This year I planted banana peppers, green and red peppers in one of my
raised beds. Out of the huge number of banana peppers I grew this
year, one banana pepper was red instead of yellow. It had a slightly
sweeter taste than the usual yellow banana peppers.

What would cause this to happen ... environmental conditions, some
kind of cross-pollination, or ?

Thanks in advance.

Dave - When I was at a local Farmer's market last Saturday morning, I
purchased some little sweet peppers, that came in yellow, orange, and
red! They were all shaped like banana peppers. I used them in a
Mango Chili Salsa, I made. And, they were wonderful!

Did you keep the seeds from that particular red pepper??? Maybe you
could develop your own hybrid!

Myrl Jeffcoathttp://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Oops, turned out the banana pepper turned red after it came off the
plant ... I guess this is what happens as banana peppers mature, off
the plant?

Old 19-09-2007, 06:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

Banana peppers are yellow to red peppers. They will turn red even on
the plant when ripe. Thier cusomary use has been in the immature
yellow stage, just as with green bells. Leave them to get ripe and
they change to their ripe color.
On Sep 18, 7:36 am, Dave wrote:
On Sep 17, 11:11 pm, Myrl wrote:

On Sep 17, 4:51 pm, Dave wrote:

[...]

the plant?- Hide quoted text -

Old 24-09-2007, 07:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

I too planted the banana pepper. I believe they all start out yellow, and if
you leave
them on the plant long enough, they will turn red. Mine do.

Sherwin

Old 24-09-2007, 07:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Dave,

As I mentioned, it will also do it on the plant. Probably better to defer to
that.
It may make the pepper more tasty.

Sherwin