Old 24-09-2007, 02:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Question on ornamental grass

I have an ornamental grass, the name of it I forget. It has gotten to about
4' tall and after a recent rain here in Southern Calif. it is leaning over.
Kinda looks like it needs to be trimmed in some way. I'm not sure how to go
about it. The grass has long green and purple stems with long feathery
looking tips. Should I try trimming it in some way or just dig it up and
split the plant and replant a smaller portion. Is this a good time to do
that, we still probably have a little warm weather left yet. Thanks for your
help.

--
Paul O.

Old 24-09-2007, 04:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 9/23/2007 6:49 PM, Paul O. wrote:
I have an ornamental grass, the name of it I forget. It has gotten to about
4' tall and after a recent rain here in Southern Calif. it is leaning over.
Kinda looks like it needs to be trimmed in some way. I'm not sure how to go
about it. The grass has long green and purple stems with long feathery
looking tips. Should I try trimming it in some way or just dig it up and
split the plant and replant a smaller portion. Is this a good time to do
that, we still probably have a little warm weather left yet. Thanks for your
help.

What part of southern California? In my area (near Thousand Oaks), some
large ornamental grasses go dormant in the winter. That it the time to
cut them back to about 1 foot.

That may be the best time to divide them. However, they really do not
need dividing unless they are crowding neighboring plants or you want to
plant divisions elsewhere.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean