Old 08-08-2003, 01:05 AM
Chris S.

Default Ornamental Grass for Shade?

Hi All,

I would like to put some ornamental grass on the north side foundation of
our home. Would like the height to be around 3-4 feet. Any suggestions?

The reason I want grass is for the texture. To break up hard edge lines
of the house. Anything with a grass-like texture would be good.

I have found some grasses on the web, but any suggestions or input is
much appreciated.

Zone 5.

-Chris Swartz
Old 08-08-2003, 07:03 PM
animaux

I don't know of any that tall for shade, and I'm not sure how far north Inland
Sea Oats is hardy, but I have that in full, dry shade in Texas.

Old 08-08-2003, 07:04 PM
Suja

Chris S. wrote:

Hi All,

I would like to put some ornamental grass on the north side foundation of
our home. Would like the height to be around 3-4 feet. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure if this fits your height requirement, but Plant Delights
lists Calamagrostis brachytricha as being shade tolerant.

Suja

Old 10-08-2003, 05:42 PM
MLEBLANCA

In article , animaux
writes:

I would like to put some ornamental grass on the north side foundation of
our home. Would like the height to be around 3-4 feet. Any suggestions?

The reason I want grass is for the texture. To break up hard edge lines
of the house. Anything with a grass-like texture would be good.

I have found some grasses on the web, but any suggestions or input is
much appreciated.

Zone 5.

-Chris Swartz

I can think of two that might work.
Deschampsia, Hair Grass hardy to zone 4
Calamagrostis, Reed Grass hardy to zone 5

both are about 3-4 feet tall and can do fairly well in
light to partial shade.( They do well in shade here, but it
is hot, hot, in the sun)
Hardiness seems not to be well documented in grasses
as sources vary in zones recommended.
Grasslike plants are many including sedges (Carex species)
most do not get more than 2 feet, but there are some very
beautiful types.

Emilie
zone 8 NorCal

[IMG] code is On

ornamental grass Romy Beeck Gardening 8 03-01-2005 10:11 AM
Where to buy ornamental grass?? HiL Gardening 6 03-10-2003 01:42 PM
Shade shade shade stephane Boutin United Kingdom 6 18-05-2003 06:32 AM
Little fountain plant (ornamental grass) Cereoid+10+ Gardening 1 05-03-2003 11:27 PM
Germinating ornamental grass seeds? Faye Lifford-Earle Gardening 0 31-01-2003 03:40 AM