Old 24-09-2007, 11:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default fragrant nocturnal plants

I love the fragrant smells in Spain at night and want to know what
they are. The most obvious is jasmine but there is at least another
one which is 10 times more powerful (almost makes you sick). What is
it?

Old 25-09-2007, 10:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 25 Sep, 00:28, Jangchub wrote:
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:32:10 -0700, steve
wrote:

I love the fragrant smells in Spain at night and want to know what
they are. The most obvious is jasmine but there is at least another
one which is 10 times more powerful (almost makes you sick). What is
it?

Things which are way too strong to my nose are freesia, narcissist,
but have no idea what the plant is withought at least a simple
description of the flower.

Sorry, I don't even know what it looks like...I can only smell it
(very frustrating).Narcissist sounds like a possibility. Thanks for
the response. If you think of anything else then please let me know.

Old 27-09-2007, 05:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 24, 6:32 pm, steve wrote:
I love the fragrant smells in Spain at night and want to know what
they are. The most obvious is jasmine but there is at least another
one which is 10 times more powerful (almost makes you sick). What is
it?

Nicotiana, Cestrum, Datura

My wager is on Cestrum nocturnum aka night blooming jasmine. A nicer
more subtle smell would be Murraya paniculata.
Don't hold me to correct latin spelling from memory but it's close
enough to get you a search.
Try watching the lights for large moths if you are trying to home in
on the source, they flower at night mostly to attract moths.

Old 27-09-2007, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

steve wrote:
I love the fragrant smells in Spain at night and want to know what
they are. The most obvious is jasmine but there is at least another
one which is 10 times more powerful (almost makes you sick). What is
it?

Cestrum nocturnum. (not sure if it'll grow in Spain, but I think so)

Bob