Old 15-10-2007, 04:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Planning perennial border along driveway.

I'm about to complete my first year as a gardener... at my new house
in central NJ.. For a first timer I thought I did a decent job. I
started a bed of Hostas along the fence in the backyard.. I also have
planted about 18-20 varieties of Mums along with couple of Rose
bushes..They are on their full bloom show at the moment..
One area I wasn't too happy was the way I started the flower bed along
either side of the drive way. The flower bed on either side of my
drive way is about 2 ft wide.

I combined a number of different perennials(Coreopsis, Lilly, Lupines,
Shasta Daisy , Phlox, Obidient plant, Veronica Spindles, Baloon
flower, Dahlia bulbs without paying attention to plant height and
color combinations. Dahlia plants are occupying large portion of the
bed.. They have grown extremely tall and I will be digging up the
bulbs to save for the winter. I also want to move all these perennials
to the other flower beds I have in front of the house/backyard.. Now I
need some advice in planning perennial(s) to plant along the driveway
next spring.
One side of the driveway gets complete sunlight and there are two
trees on the other side and is quite shady.
Here are features I want for my flower bed..

1)I can't plant any lillies as I have a lot of Squirrels, skunks and
Rabbits around my house. So I need to pick plants which are Rodent
resistant. I also see Deers occasionally on our streets.
2)I want to plant the perinneals which doesnt grow tall. I'm looking
for something which grows max of 10-12 inches.
3)I don't mind planting the same set of plants throughout but would
like to see 2-3 colors atleast.
4)I want to pick the perinneals which can start blooming atleast early
summer(late spring) till early/late fall.
5)It will be nice to see same plants for both the side so I have
similar flower border on either side.

One of the plants I was considering was English Daisy. As per features
on Bluestone perinneals they don't grow tall and seem to have long
bloom starting spring till fall. It flowers Red,Light rose and white
blooms. Looks like this plant is Rodent resistant.Not sure if they can
bloom in my shaded side of the bed.
I'll greatly appreciate in any help/advice in picking some more plants
so I can choose and decide.

Old 15-10-2007, 05:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

wowfed wrote:
1)I can't plant any lillies as I have a lot of Squirrels, skunks and
Rabbits around my house. So I need to pick plants which are Rodent
resistant. I also see Deers occasionally on our streets.

I've got squirrels, skunks and rabbits around too as well as deer and
our lilies are doing splendidly.. We've got 50-60 varieties.

Best thing about lilies is that when the blooms die and you pull the
scapes, you still have beautiful greenery.

Have you tried lilies before and had them die from pests, or basing that
off others statements? Many lilies are extremely hardy. Some border on
invasive and can easily grow into a huge clump.

We get all ours from David over at http://www.bluegrassgardens.net/ --
Really nice guy, live right by him..

At any rate, just my two cents on lilies, because I love them so..
Old 15-10-2007, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

As another grower with a long driveway bed, but, much wider, I underplanted
everything with daffodils. The main plant type are daylilies, but with a mix
of ornamental grasses, coral bells and cranesbill geraniums. These last
two will stay short enough for you (generally speaking). You might look at
some of the shorter daylilies as well.

CPI

Old 15-10-2007, 11:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

This design, borders along a driveway, is considered very poor design
by many landscapers. This border can be seen most frequently in the
South. It almost looks like a airport runway, bringing attention to
the driveway and taking focus off the house and other landscaping. The
border also creates maintenance/access issues. Look at some landscape
designs done by professionals--you won't see many driveway borders.
Old 16-10-2007, 12:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Phisherman wrote:
This design, borders along a driveway, is considered very poor design
by many landscapers. This border can be seen most frequently in the
South. It almost looks like a airport runway, bringing attention to
the driveway and taking focus off the house and other landscaping. The
border also creates maintenance/access issues. Look at some landscape
designs done by professionals--you won't see many driveway borders.

Well, we southern folk just tend to do things ya'll might not like but
it sure does look perdy!

Really though, we do tend to line the drive which personally I like..
Most drives have a row of trees along them at the least.

Guess that makes us unprofessional.. *sniff* muh heart be broken...
Don't break my heart.. my achy.. Oh Lordy, let me stop right there..

Old 16-10-2007, 01:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/15/07 7:42 PM, in article ,
"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
This design, borders along a driveway, is considered very poor design
by many landscapers. This border can be seen most frequently in the
South. It almost looks like a airport runway, bringing attention to
the driveway and taking focus off the house and other landscaping. The
border also creates maintenance/access issues. Look at some landscape
designs done by professionals--you won't see many driveway borders.

Well, we southern folk just tend to do things ya'll might not like but
it sure does look perdy!

Really though, we do tend to line the drive which personally I like..
Most drives have a row of trees along them at the least.

Guess that makes us unprofessional.. *sniff* muh heart be broken...
Don't break my heart.. my achy.. Oh Lordy, let me stop right there..

Hey, Billy Ray.... Remember, this is your garden. You can do what ever you
want. Including tie into the front of the house. Just keep it interesting to
you....

BUT
Only one side of my driveway is border

R,D,H,

Cheryl

Old 16-10-2007, 02:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 10/15/07 7:42 PM, in article ,
"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
[...]

LOL.. That was my point.. It's all good so long as you like what you're
doing..

[IMG] code is On

Pandemic sing along zxcvbob Edible Gardening 2 02-05-2009 05:35 AM
Pandemic sing along zxcvbob Lawns 1 30-04-2009 05:40 AM
North north west facing garden - perennial border ideas Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 4 17-02-2005 10:34 PM
Planning Planting of Fruit Trees Along Wall Alan United Kingdom 4 03-11-2004 02:22 PM
Decorative Plants or Bushes Along Driveway harry manka Gardening 17 28-01-2004 02:43 PM