Old 17-10-2007, 07:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default help a first-time vegetable grower please

Hi all..

I am a first time grower (thought technically second, as last week was
my first time and I managed to kill everything I planted in ONE DAY!!)

Amazing, huh? I planted all my tomatoes directly onto chicken manure.
I thought it was a good idea.

Anyway..

I will be re-doing my veggie patch this weekend. I have three raised
boxes and will grow tomatoes, perhaps some carrots and lettuce plants
also.

I would like to re-use SOME of the chicken manure that I bought from
the store, but will be adding to it some potting mix and compost.. My
question is .. Should I mix the chicken manure with the potting mix
and compost, or should I leave a layer of manure on the bottom of the
boxes and add the potting and compost on top?

Hoping not to kill any more plants ..

Old 17-10-2007, 01:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Ivan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all..

I am a first time grower (thought technically second, as last week was
my first time and I managed to kill everything I planted in ONE DAY!!)

Amazing, huh? I planted all my tomatoes directly onto chicken manure.
I thought it was a good idea.

Anyway..

I will be re-doing my veggie patch this weekend. I have three raised
boxes and will grow tomatoes, perhaps some carrots and lettuce plants
also.

I would like to re-use SOME of the chicken manure that I bought from
the store, but will be adding to it some potting mix and compost.. My
question is .. Should I mix the chicken manure with the potting mix
and compost, or should I leave a layer of manure on the bottom of the
boxes and add the potting and compost on top?

Hoping not to kill any more plants ..

Is this composted chicken manure?

Old 17-10-2007, 08:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

g'day ivan,

will assume that the manure you bought is aged and composted?

i would just spread it in the lower layer then cover with your
preffered growing medium as yu say potting mich and compost mixed
together.

if you can check out mushroom compost direct from the farm we have
good results using that.

also we have pics etc on our site how we do things. might help?

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 23:13:44 -0700, Ivan wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 17-10-2007, 11:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 18, 5:27 am, len garden wrote:
g'day ivan,

will assume that the manure you bought is aged and composted?

i would just spread it in the lower layer then cover with your
preffered growing medium as yu say potting mich and compost mixed
together.

if you can check out mushroom compost direct from the farm we have
good results using that.

also we have pics etc on our site how we do things. might help?

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 23:13:44 -0700, Ivan wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Hi there,

Thank you kindly for clearing this out for me.
What do I do with mushroom compost?
Do I mix it with the potting mix, instead of any other compost I might
find at the store?

Old 18-10-2007, 01:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hi there,

Thank you kindly for clearing this out for me.
What do I do with mushroom compost?
Do I mix it with the potting mix, instead of any other compost I might
find at the store?

http://www.beginner-gardening.com/ve...gardening.html

Maybe try a link like this as well. When I started gardening I simply
dug a patch of ground and planted, and read books as I went. Now we
have the internet but the practice is the same. Good luck - it's a
great pastime, and even greater pleasure to eat the vegies!

Old 18-10-2007, 07:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

g'day ivan,

over her we buy it from the farm and just tip it into the agrden break
it up a bit and then plnat into it, some care is neded as it can still
get hot for the plants but leaving it spread out in the bed with no
mulch on it for a couple of weeks helps that.

do a google for mushroom farms near you.

Old 19-10-2007, 03:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 19, 4:52 am, len garden wrote:
g'day ivan,

over her we buy it from the farm and just tip it into the agrden break
it up a bit and then plnat into it, some care is neded as it can still
get hot for the plants but leaving it spread out in the bed with no
mulch on it for a couple of weeks helps that.

do a google for mushroom farms near you.

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 15:55:13 -0700, Ivan wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Well I bought some mushroom compost!!
I'm beginning to think I bought too much though. How much should be
used in a raised bed in proportion to potting mix?
By what you said it makes it seem as if though you're planting
directly into the mushroom compost.. Is this the right thing to do?