Old 01-09-2005, 09:48 PM
crom

Default Newbie vegetable grower needs help

Hello to you all, I've been lurking for a while and only posted a
couple of times but I've taken the plunge and am growing a few things.
Brocolli and purple cauliflowers are going well but I have two pepper
plants which are supposed to produce orange peppers. They are only
producing green ones with slightly yellowish patches. They get a good
amount of sun but are a little blocked from direct sunlight by the
courgette plants! Should I leave them on the plant or cut them off?
Will they continue to mature off the plant.

Also, I have two chilli plants which are producing at a good rate. Can
I leave these and the pepper plants out all year round or should I
bring them in. Or are they annuals?

Sorry for all the stupid questions but I'm only learning!

Crom
Old 01-09-2005, 10:29 PM
Kay

In article , crom ?@?.?
writes
Hello to you all, I've been lurking for a while and only posted a
couple of times but I've taken the plunge and am growing a few things.
Brocolli and purple cauliflowers are going well but I have two pepper
plants which are supposed to produce orange peppers. They are only
producing green ones with slightly yellowish patches. They get a good
amount of sun but are a little blocked from direct sunlight by the
courgette plants! Should I leave them on the plant or cut them off?

Leave them on - I would expect them to start green and turn colour
later.

Will they continue to mature off the plant.

They will eventually, but it's easier to keep them in good condition on
the plant.

Also, I have two chilli plants which are producing at a good rate. Can
I leave these and the pepper plants out all year round or should I
bring them in. Or are they annuals?

They are perennial but they can't cope with our winters, so will die if
you leave them outside. Otoh, it's difficult to overwinter them indoors
and keep them in good shape for next year, so probably better to bring
them in before you get a frost, then ditch them once you've picked off
all the fruits and start again from seed next year.

Chillis I think get hotter the longer you leave them on the plant.

Sorry for all the stupid questions but I'm only learning!

They're not stupid questions - they're very sensible questions.

--
Kay

Old 01-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Phil L

crom wrote:
:: Hello to you all, I've been lurking for a while and only posted a
:: couple of times but I've taken the plunge and am growing a few things.
:: Brocolli and purple cauliflowers are going well but I have two pepper
:: plants which are supposed to produce orange peppers. They are only
:: producing green ones with slightly yellowish patches. They get a good
:: amount of sun but are a little blocked from direct sunlight by the
:: courgette plants! Should I leave them on the plant or cut them off?
:: Will they continue to mature off the plant.
::
:: Also, I have two chilli plants which are producing at a good rate. Can
:: I leave these and the pepper plants out all year round or should I
:: bring them in. Or are they annuals?
::
:: Sorry for all the stupid questions but I'm only learning!
::
:: Crom

Can't help with your questions but wanted to ask something similar so I'll
tack it onto this post...

My chilli plants are all bearing fruit, some tiny ones some massive ones,
the biggest plants are almost 5ft high and the peppers are approaching six
inches long and one and half in diameter near the tops! (I have no idea what
variety as they all came from one pod from the supermarket, my question is
similar to Crom's, none of them appear to be ripening, just getting bigger -
I tried eating one a few weeks ago because it was twice the size of it's
parent and there was no 'heat' in it at all, almost like a conventional
pepper....are chilli peppers grown for supermarkets somehow crossed with
something else? - I've never seen chillis so large (and bland!)

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 02-09-2005, 08:38 AM
crom

Thanks for all your comments. I'll leave them where they are and I
will try to winter the chilli plants indoors (they were a pressie) but
I think the pepper plants may go!

Thx again,
Crom