Old 21-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Registered User

Default Dwarf Weeping Willow

Hi all
Just moved house to where there is a mature garden. I am a very amatuer gardener. There is a dwarf weeping willow that looks like something has been eating the leaves. I have removed all the leaves but is this enough? Should I treat it with anything? If so wth what? Also should I prune it? If so how?

Many thanks in advance for your help
Old 22-10-2007, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

--
Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub1.html
and
Look up "Tree Planting" http://www.treedictionary.com

Improper Mulching - http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html
and
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/ Look up "Mulch"

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Tree Farming and Related Problems
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

Old 22-10-2007, 01:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

Sorry. That was a good question. The links I posted are designed to help
guide you with the care of your weeping willow. Any questions please ask.

- -
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..

--
[...]

Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.

Old 22-10-2007, 02:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

symplastless wrote:
Sorry. That was a good question. The links I posted are designed to help
guide you with the care of your weeping willow. Any questions please ask.

It was a good question. One that none of your links seem to address
since he didn't ask about planting, or mulching, nor fertilizing or
pruning..

Well, maybe pruning but very indirectly..

At any rate, if you just moved in I'd say see how it fairs next year.
Without being able to identify the problem you could easily do more harm
than good.

Might be Japanese beetle.

Leaves look like this damage wise?

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/rhodcv/hort410/8010b.jpg

http://www.fnr.purdue.edu/inwood/ima...e%20beetle.jpg

Then again there is a willow leaf beetle, it seems.

http://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/en...tals/2-58.jpeg

Anyway, my point is ID the problem first before doing any extensive
spraying. The tree will be fine with its leaves looking like swiss
cheese. Better to leave them on than to take the leaf off. After all,
it's still a functioning leaf.

Well, unless they look like this..

http://pbskids.org/backyardjungle/fi...iscovery_f.jpg

Now, if you can actually see what's munching on them, let us know what
it looks like.. Pictures help if you can get a good one via digital
camera.

Can just upload it to a free host and give the URL.

imageshack.com for example.

Just my two cents.. Good luck with IDing the problem!
Old 23-10-2007, 12:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

Its not important this time of year if something is eating the leaves of a
willow. Most of the trees available amount of food has been stored in the
form of starch in living parenchyma cells in the tree stem and woody roots.

Proper mulching, though not the question, is still not a bad idea for the
willow tree.
"When a tree is wounded, you should not treat only the wound but the entire
tree." Shigo 1999 Tree Pithy Points
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/PITHYPOINTS.html

Proper mulching can greatly influence the troubles in the rhisosphere in a
positive way.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Also, thinking as I often do, there may be a chance this new property owner
may plant another tree. Or it might be of value to show what proper
planting consist of. Why? Because many tree problems that this willow may
have, may be the direct result of improper planting. Thus placing the tree
in a predisposition for secondary agents that get blamed for the decline of
the tree. I have seen it too many times. It is not a Penn. problem or is
it just a USA problem. If not the top, one of the most common tree problems
worldwide come from improper planting of the trees.

"Ignorance of tree biology has been, and still is, the major cause of tree
problems worldwide." Shigo 1999 Tree Pithy Points.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/PITHYPOINTS.html

Predisposition:
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/ARM.html

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote in message
symplastless wrote:
[...]

[IMG] code is On

Seeking supplier of very dwarf/bonsai prunus and weeping willow dannyd United Kingdom 0 03-04-2005 12:39 PM
moving a 15foot high weeping willow R P McMurphy United Kingdom 19 01-09-2003 01:03 AM
[IBC] Weeping willow was Madrona? Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 0 25-06-2003 09:08 PM
Weeping Willow Problem dixie Texas 6 18-04-2003 03:44 PM
Salix Caprea Pendula? (Weeping Pussy Willow) janet.bennett United Kingdom 1 29-03-2003 08:44 AM