Old 23-10-2007, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Roses

I have a slope that slipped in 2005 in a record-breaking rain storm. It
was finally repaired this summer. The regrading impacted the rose bed
at the foot of the slope. Impacted? Not even stumps of roses planted
more than 20 years ago remain!

I have located sources to replace all but three. The three roses that I
can't find a
'Color Magic'
Climbing 'Peace'
Climbing 'Chrysler Imperial'

I did a Google search for these. All "hits" on 'Color Magic' and
climbing 'Peace' seem to indicate "Sold Out". "Hits" on climbing
'Chrysler Imperial' were all for sources of other climbing roses and for
'Chrysler Imperial' as a shrub.

I'm hoping to plant my roses in January. While I'm looking for
bare-root plants, I will buy plants that were very recently potted into
1 gallon cans.

Can anyone help me? Although I generally avoid mail-ordering live
plants, I will make an exception for these.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 23-10-2007, 02:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 22, 4:22 pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
[...]

David first of all I hope that you're safe from the fires!

Do you have a good reliable nursery nearby that specializes in roses?
Go to them and ask if they have your roses on their order list and ask
them to order one from their supplier. I think part of the problem is
that
you are too late for the 2007 crop and too early for the 2008 crop.
They
will be digging bare roots soon, and nurseries are sending in their
orders
now.

You also might look at the American Rose Society website and see
if you have a local Rose Society. Their members might be able to help
you out with a source.

You also might find someone who has these roses in their own garden
and would give you a cutting to start a new plant. Roses start pretty
easily from cuttings.(again a rose society might help here)

Good luck.
Emilie
NorCal

Old 23-10-2007, 04:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/22/2007 6:06 PM, mleblanca wrote:
[...]

Yes, we are quite safe from the fires. Even if a fire was headed
directly towards us, we would be safe. That's because a fire came
through here two years ago, stopped less than a half-mile from my house
by the Ventura County Fire Department with help from Los Angeles County
and Los Angeles City departments. Since then, there has been too little
rain for the brush to regrow.

I have already tried several excellent major independent and chain
nurseries, including one nursery that sells nothing but roses.
Apparently, these three are not in the Weeks or Jackson & Perkins
catalogues.

The problem with cuttings from other hobby gardenders is that the
patents on these three might still be in effect. While there is such a
thing as fair-use copying of copyrighted material, there is no such
thing for patents.

Old 23-10-2007, 04:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 08:03:59 -0700, "David E. Ross"
wrote:

[...]

Otto and Sons near Fillmore lists Color Magic, they might have an idea
where you could get the others you are looking for. It'd be worth a
call.

http://www.ottoandsons-nursery.com/index.htm

Old 24-10-2007, 02:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 23, 8:03 am, "David E. Ross" wrote:
On 10/22/2007 6:06 PM, mleblanca wrote:

Yes, we are quite safe from the fires

I'm glad to hear that.
snip

The problem with cuttings from other hobby gardenders is that the
patents on these three might still be in effect. While there is such a
thing as fair-use copying of copyrighted material, there is no such
thing for patents.

David these roses are too old for patents to still be valid

Cl Chrysler Imperial is from 1957. Cl Peace is l95l , no patent lasts
50 years
Color Magic is from 1978 /thats 30 years, also too old for a patent
So go ahead with cuttings if you find the plants.
Emilie

Old 24-10-2007, 02:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

David
Heirloom Roses in Oregon has Color Magic on
their list online:

www.heirloomroses.com

Emilie