Old 29-10-2007, 05:09 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Jim Jim is offline

Default from a dead looking stick

http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/t...rate-Rose.html

about 3 years ago a friend gave us a dead looking stick and
told us if we planted the stick in the ground and watered it
once a day for two weeks we'd get a Confederate Rose bush.

I decided to play along thinking there would be some great
future laughs concerning how I was tricked into planting a
dead looking stick.

http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/t...rate-Rose.html

well, the friend was not playing a joke. now I get to enjoy
taking cuttings from this bush and telling other friends how
if you plant this dead looking stick in the ground you'll get
a Confederate Rose bush.

been kind of neat watching this bush being propagated into
the yards of friends.
Old 29-10-2007, 10:30 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

On 10/29/07 1:09 AM, in article , "Jim"
wrote:

http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/t...rate-Rose.html

about 3 years ago a friend gave us a dead looking stick and
told us if we planted the stick in the ground and watered it
once a day for two weeks we'd get a Confederate Rose bush.

I decided to play along thinking there would be some great
future laughs concerning how I was tricked into planting a
dead looking stick.

http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/t...rate-Rose.html

well, the friend was not playing a joke. now I get to enjoy
taking cuttings from this bush and telling other friends how
if you plant this dead looking stick in the ground you'll get
a Confederate Rose bush.

been kind of neat watching this bush being propagated into
the yards of friends.

That is neat. I did a quick google and it isn't nearly hardy enough. Would
it make a house plant?

Old 29-10-2007, 01:35 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

On 10/29/07 9:46 AM, in article , "Jim"
wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Jim wrote:

http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/t...rate-Rose.html

about 3 years ago a friend gave us a dead looking stick and
told us if we planted the stick in the ground and watered it
once a day for two weeks we'd get a Confederate Rose bush.

I decided to play along thinking there would be some great
future laughs concerning how I was tricked into planting a
dead looking stick.

http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/t...rate-Rose.html

well, the friend was not playing a joke. now I get to enjoy
taking cuttings from this bush and telling other friends how
if you plant this dead looking stick in the ground you'll get
a Confederate Rose bush.

been kind of neat watching this bush being propagated into
the yards of friends.

That is neat. I did a quick google and it isn't nearly hardy enough.

yea, Confederates don't do well up north, just look what
happened to them at Gettysburg.

Snicker! I wasn't even going to go there. I plenty of New Englanders that
have headed south, but the few southerners that came north couldn't handle
the weather.

Old 29-10-2007, 01:46 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Jim Jim is offline

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Jim wrote:

[...]

Would it make a house plant?

I don't know the answer to that.
Old 29-10-2007, 09:50 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Jim Jim is offline

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Jim wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Jim wrote:

[....]
a Confederate Rose bush.

That is neat. I did a quick google and it isn't nearly hardy enough.

yea, Confederates don't do well up north, just look what
happened to them at Gettysburg.

Snicker! I wasn't even going to go there. I plenty of New Englanders that
have headed south, but the few southerners that came north couldn't handle
the weather.

in a different life when I was traveling for Nortel I made
many trips to Canada in January and February. it was during
those trips I discovered how we in NC should not use the word
'cold' as a descriptor for describing the weather conditions
here in NC. it simply does not get cold in NC.

Old 30-10-2007, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

"Jim" wrote in message
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[snip]
plenty of New Englanders that
have headed south, but the few southerners that came north couldn't
handle
the weather.

in a different life when I was traveling for Nortel I made
many trips to Canada in January and February. it was during
those trips I discovered how we in NC should not use the word
'cold' as a descriptor for describing the weather conditions
here in NC. it simply does not get cold in NC.

Two winters at Fort Churchill made getting back to southern Ontario seem
springlike -- but I don't think roses would have grown in the winter --

Old 30-10-2007, 01:27 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Jim Jim is offline

JimR wrote:

Jim wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[snip]
but the few southerners that came north couldn't
handle the weather.

in a different life when I was traveling for Nortel I made
many trips to Canada in January and February. it was during
those trips I discovered how we in NC should not use the word
'cold' as a descriptor for describing the weather conditions
here in NC. it simply does not get cold in NC.

Two winters at Fort Churchill made getting back to southern Ontario seem
springlike -- but I don't think roses would have grown in the winter --

Ottawa was the usual destination because the BNR labs for
the products I was associated with were located there. I
tried to get a summer time trip but never managed it.
Buffalo NY was another place where the word 'cold' was
applicable.
Old 30-10-2007, 06:58 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 20:16:44 -0400, "JimR" wrote:

"Jim" wrote in message
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[snip]
plenty of New Englanders that
have headed south, but the few southerners that came north couldn't
handle
the weather.

in a different life when I was traveling for Nortel I made
many trips to Canada in January and February. it was during
those trips I discovered how we in NC should not use the word
'cold' as a descriptor for describing the weather conditions
here in NC. it simply does not get cold in NC.

Two winters at Fort Churchill made getting back to southern Ontario seem
springlike -- but I don't think roses would have grown in the winter --

Hah! Takes me back...

I remember tenting at minus 25 (at which point, ISTR, Celsius and
Fahrenheit converge?), during a 10-day mushing trip on the Great Slave
Lake. Ah...them were the days..

Persephone

Old 30-10-2007, 01:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default How cold is it were you are NOW - WAS from a dead looking stick

rachael simpson wrote in
:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
As I write, it is 6:36 AM and it 28 degrees. And still
dark.

it was 24F here (24.6 actually) at 6:30am. i thought we had
more "coastal" warming than you (keeping in mind i'm 30 +/-
miles from the coast...).

33 degrees at 7:30am and 37 degrees now at 8:16am. It's
light out now, and there was a bit of light out then. First
frost and the coldest night that we've had so far...weird
for it be the end of October, huh?

currently, at 9:33am it's 41.2F & i'm going out to brush a
llama (Sally, not to be confused with the chicken named
Sally). glad it warmed up. i hate standing around in freezing
weather, especially if there's a breeze.
lee
Old 30-10-2007, 05:28 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

On 10/30/07 9:38 AM, in article , "JimR"
wrote:

Snip

As I write, it is 6:36 AM and it 28 degrees. And still dark.

Cheryl
Southern NH

At 6:36 AM here it also was still dark and also was 28 degrees, except my 28
degrees were C.

JimR
Florida Highlands

Blowing raspberries in your direction! I needed the fleece coat this AM.

Old 30-10-2007, 08:27 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Jim Jim is offline

Default How cold is it were you are NOW

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[....]

As I write, it is 6:36 AM and it 28 degrees. And still dark.

Cheryl
Southern NH

34F was the morning low here. we got our first
frost this morning YeeHaw!!!

Jim
central NC

[IMG] code is On

from a dead looking stick Jim Lawns 24 01-11-2007 01:12 AM
Is my stick (actually a Star Magnolia) dead? huLLy not in Greece United Kingdom 9 23-04-2007 01:30 PM
Pounded stick in ground, now it's growing paghat Gardening 7 17-04-2003 12:44 AM
Gas Edgers: experiences w/stick and walk-behind types johannmon Gardening 3 31-03-2003 12:56 AM
Walking Stick Cabbage Steve Harris United Kingdom 7 13-02-2003 07:26 PM