Old 29-10-2007, 05:09 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Jim Jim is offline

Default from a dead looking stick

http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/t...rate-Rose.html

about 3 years ago a friend gave us a dead looking stick and
told us if we planted the stick in the ground and watered it
once a day for two weeks we'd get a Confederate Rose bush.

I decided to play along thinking there would be some great
future laughs concerning how I was tricked into planting a
dead looking stick.

http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/t...rate-Rose.html

well, the friend was not playing a joke. now I get to enjoy
taking cuttings from this bush and telling other friends how
if you plant this dead looking stick in the ground you'll get
a Confederate Rose bush.

been kind of neat watching this bush being propagated into
the yards of friends.
Old 29-10-2007, 10:30 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

On 10/29/07 1:09 AM, in article , "Jim"
wrote:

http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/t...rate-Rose.html

about 3 years ago a friend gave us a dead looking stick and
told us if we planted the stick in the ground and watered it
once a day for two weeks we'd get a Confederate Rose bush.

I decided to play along thinking there would be some great
future laughs concerning how I was tricked into planting a
dead looking stick.

http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/t...rate-Rose.html

well, the friend was not playing a joke. now I get to enjoy
taking cuttings from this bush and telling other friends how
if you plant this dead looking stick in the ground you'll get
a Confederate Rose bush.

been kind of neat watching this bush being propagated into
the yards of friends.

That is neat. I did a quick google and it isn't nearly hardy enough. Would
it make a house plant?

Old 29-10-2007, 01:35 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

On 10/29/07 9:46 AM, in article , "Jim"
wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Jim wrote:

http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/t...rate-Rose.html

about 3 years ago a friend gave us a dead looking stick and
told us if we planted the stick in the ground and watered it
once a day for two weeks we'd get a Confederate Rose bush.

I decided to play along thinking there would be some great
future laughs concerning how I was tricked into planting a
dead looking stick.

http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/t...rate-Rose.html

well, the friend was not playing a joke. now I get to enjoy
taking cuttings from this bush and telling other friends how
if you plant this dead looking stick in the ground you'll get
a Confederate Rose bush.

been kind of neat watching this bush being propagated into
the yards of friends.

That is neat. I did a quick google and it isn't nearly hardy enough.

yea, Confederates don't do well up north, just look what
happened to them at Gettysburg.

Snicker! I wasn't even going to go there. I plenty of New Englanders that
have headed south, but the few southerners that came north couldn't handle
the weather.

Old 29-10-2007, 01:46 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Jim Jim is offline

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Jim wrote:

[...]

Would it make a house plant?

I don't know the answer to that.
Old 29-10-2007, 09:50 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Jim Jim is offline

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Jim wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Jim wrote:

[....]
a Confederate Rose bush.

That is neat. I did a quick google and it isn't nearly hardy enough.

yea, Confederates don't do well up north, just look what
happened to them at Gettysburg.

Snicker! I wasn't even going to go there. I plenty of New Englanders that
have headed south, but the few southerners that came north couldn't handle
the weather.

in a different life when I was traveling for Nortel I made
many trips to Canada in January and February. it was during
those trips I discovered how we in NC should not use the word
'cold' as a descriptor for describing the weather conditions
here in NC. it simply does not get cold in NC.

Old 30-10-2007, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

"Jim" wrote in message
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[snip]
plenty of New Englanders that
have headed south, but the few southerners that came north couldn't
handle
the weather.

in a different life when I was traveling for Nortel I made
many trips to Canada in January and February. it was during
those trips I discovered how we in NC should not use the word
'cold' as a descriptor for describing the weather conditions
here in NC. it simply does not get cold in NC.

Two winters at Fort Churchill made getting back to southern Ontario seem
springlike -- but I don't think roses would have grown in the winter --

Old 30-10-2007, 01:27 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Jim Jim is offline

JimR wrote:

Jim wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[snip]
but the few southerners that came north couldn't
handle the weather.

in a different life when I was traveling for Nortel I made
many trips to Canada in January and February. it was during
those trips I discovered how we in NC should not use the word
'cold' as a descriptor for describing the weather conditions
here in NC. it simply does not get cold in NC.

Two winters at Fort Churchill made getting back to southern Ontario seem
springlike -- but I don't think roses would have grown in the winter --

Ottawa was the usual destination because the BNR labs for
the products I was associated with were located there. I
tried to get a summer time trip but never managed it.
Buffalo NY was another place where the word 'cold' was
applicable.
Old 30-10-2007, 06:58 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 20:16:44 -0400, "JimR" wrote:

"Jim" wrote in message
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[snip]
plenty of New Englanders that
have headed south, but the few southerners that came north couldn't
handle
the weather.

in a different life when I was traveling for Nortel I made
many trips to Canada in January and February. it was during
those trips I discovered how we in NC should not use the word
'cold' as a descriptor for describing the weather conditions
here in NC. it simply does not get cold in NC.

Two winters at Fort Churchill made getting back to southern Ontario seem
springlike -- but I don't think roses would have grown in the winter --

Hah! Takes me back...

I remember tenting at minus 25 (at which point, ISTR, Celsius and
Fahrenheit converge?), during a 10-day mushing trip on the Great Slave
Lake. Ah...them were the days..

Persephone

Old 30-10-2007, 05:28 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

Default OT How cold is it were you are NOW - WAS from a deadlookingstick

On 10/30/07 9:38 AM, in article , "JimR"
wrote:

Snip

As I write, it is 6:36 AM and it 28 degrees. And still dark.

Cheryl
Southern NH

At 6:36 AM here it also was still dark and also was 28 degrees, except my 28
degrees were C.

JimR
Florida Highlands

Blowing raspberries in your direction! I needed the fleece coat this AM.

Old 30-10-2007, 08:27 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Jim Jim is offline

Default How cold is it were you are NOW

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[....]

As I write, it is 6:36 AM and it 28 degrees. And still dark.

Cheryl
Southern NH

34F was the morning low here. we got our first
frost this morning YeeHaw!!!

Jim
central NC
Old 30-10-2007, 11:28 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

Default I never saw a rose with leaves like that before

Jim wrote:
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/t...rate-Rose.html

about 3 years ago a friend gave us a dead looking stick and
told us if we planted the stick in the ground and watered it
once a day for two weeks we'd get a Confederate Rose bush.

I decided to play along thinking there would be some great
future laughs concerning how I was tricked into planting a
dead looking stick.

http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/t...rate-Rose.html

well, the friend was not playing a joke. now I get to enjoy
taking cuttings from this bush and telling other friends how
if you plant this dead looking stick in the ground you'll get
a Confederate Rose bush.

been kind of neat watching this bush being propagated into
the yards of friends.

That "rose" has palmate leaves which I have never seen on a rose before.
Usually they are compound. The blooms and buds sure look like roses.

Does anyone know its botanical name or another common name for it? I
doubt it would be cold hardy in my zone. I would like to see if there
is anything like it on helpmefind.com.

The only other rose I saw with very unusual leaves was what some thought
might be an alba; instead of the usual five of 7 leaflets on one stem,
it had several more pairs than that.

I have just learned that roses may root from "sticks" if you put them in
the ground when they are dormant. So when you say "stick", I assume
that there are no leaves and that it was dormant when you put it in the
ground. It must root easily; sometimes it helps to use rooting powder,
but I guess them thar Confederate roses root like Forsythia.

Old 31-10-2007, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 18:28:16 -0500, Hettie®
wrote:

Jim wrote:
[...]

Not really a rose, read more he
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/714/