Old 05-11-2007, 11:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Do you compost?

"SteveB" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

If teachers spoon fed your kids or grandkids instead of teaching them how
to learn, you'd be bitching about it. Why make exceptions for adults?

Question: If I was to do this, would I be as smart as you some day?

Steve

That depends. How old are you, and did you ever have a teacher who wouldn't
put up with bullshit like yours?

Old 05-11-2007, 11:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Gloria" wrote in message
. net...
The time that it has taken smartass to tell you all the noninformative
stuff, he could have answered your questions ten times and if he didn't
want to tell you if he composts and if it works for him and does he wet
it, etc...he should have googled for something more interesting to do with
his time.

Thank you. You are a jewel.

Steve

Old 06-11-2007, 01:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

SteveB wrote:
"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote

At any rate, I digress, as this thread has turned into quite the fracas.
However, I will agree that the canned spam reply to google or goto the
library that many people are doing now is growing old.. Almost as bad as
some replies to tree questions.. Almost..

Ok, enough rambling.. Compost, it's useful.. Toss in grass clippings and
leaves in layers and be done with it. Have fun..

I consider this and other topical groups to be DISCUSSION groups. Not dry
how to lectures, or dissertations by the overly educated.

I come here to talk to people. Get a little information here and a little
there. And to hear each person's individual experience and assessment.

Web browsing is important, too. And I do that on a regular basis. I have
just found that it is so slanted that it is almost unbelievable. Example:
I have googled for reviews of particular electronics devices that I KNOW are
popular, and there are no reviews available. Either it's a bad product, and
they don't post reviews, or there's no one actually doing the reviews and
reporting them. Or there's just a couple of reviews, and they are so long
and glowing that I suspect they were made up by someone in the marketing
department.

Internet is just like the news. You can take what comes down the pipe and
swallow it, or you can ask questions of people who've been there, done it,
for a slightly more informative answer. I don't consider, "Look it up in
Google, you lazy bum" to be an answer. At least not in a real time
conversation.

And to those who consider us who don't know everything (as they do) to be a
bother, there's always filters.

HTH

STeve

Perhaps you haven't noticed, but virtually everyone on usenet is
anonymous, so assuming that any of us knows what we are talking about,
or is telling the truth, is a badge of gullibility. I have it on good
authority, for example, that cat daddy is actually Hillary Clinton, and
who can believe what he/she says?

At least with a published book, or possibly with some credentialed web
sites, you know who is giving the information; whether you want to
believe it is another question. But certainly Wikipedia is rarely
considered an accurate source, as in many cases, anyone with a bone to
pick, or an urge to play games, can alter an article, making black seem
white.

I read some newsgroups, and have found some valuable information, but I
have always been careful to validate the information, or at least to
apply what I know relevant to the issue to vet the information. As a
retired lawyer, I read with amusement many of the postings on what are
legal issues, and I would estimate that fewer than five percent of the
postings are anywhere near accurate.

Certainly if you read a given group long enough, you can often judge
whether a given poster knows something about a given subject, or whether
they are just making noise.

So I think those who have posted that you should have done some research
before posting a rather open-ended question were giving good advice. If
you found conflicting information in your research, or were unable to
find an answer to a specific question, that would be the time to use
usenet, and we wouldn't have the spectacle of this lengthy thread that
has so little relevant information.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:31 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"SteveB" expounded:

I consider this and other topical groups to be DISCUSSION groups. Not dry
how to lectures, or dissertations by the overly educated.

Steve, for the record, I understand what you want and agree with you.
I've never understood the blind insistance to use google for
everything. There's a wealth of knowledge here to draw on, and
opinions, and yes, discussion, if you can find willing discussers.
There are a few in this thread, but not many. (
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Old 06-11-2007, 01:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Ann" wrote in message
"SteveB" expounded:

I consider this and other topical groups to be DISCUSSION groups. Not dry
how to lectures, or dissertations by the overly educated.

Steve, for the record, I understand what you want and agree with you.
I've never understood the blind insistance to use google for
everything. There's a wealth of knowledge here to draw on, and
opinions, and yes, discussion, if you can find willing discussers.
There are a few in this thread, but not many. (
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a

How many paragraphs are you willing to write before you feel put upon? Two?
Nine? Eleven? Thirty?

Old 06-11-2007, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"SteveB" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

If teachers spoon fed your kids or grandkids instead of teaching them
how to learn, you'd be bitching about it. Why make exceptions for
adults?

Question: If I was to do this, would I be as smart as you some day?

Steve

That depends. How old are you, and did you ever have a teacher who
wouldn't put up with bullshit like yours?

I'm 59, retired, and yes/no. The education system has a lot of good
teachers, and some who needed to be burger flippers, but who would have done
poorly at that as well.

Steve

Old 06-11-2007, 03:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

Thank you, Your Highness.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Not@home" wrote in message

SteveB wrote:
[...]

Coming from a retired lawyer, that is both rich and hilarious.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

SteveB wrote:

snip the shit for crying out loud

Has anyone gotten around to telling you not to use cooked or dressed
food scraps in your compost pile? Raw foods only, vegetable matter only,
no meat, no fats, no salad dressings, etc.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Ann wrote:

"SteveB" expounded:

I consider this and other topical groups to be DISCUSSION groups. Not dry
how to lectures, or dissertations by the overly educated.

Steve, for the record, I understand what you want and agree with you.
I've never understood the blind insistance to use google for
everything. There's a wealth of knowledge here to draw on, and
opinions, and yes, discussion, if you can find willing discussers.
There are a few in this thread, but not many. (

Ann, why be so modest? You know about composting, why don't you share
your wisdom with this little jerk-off? Most article that I have Googled
seem to run a couple of pages but since you seem to have felt this
jerk-offs's pain, it shouldn't be too much for you to amplify on the
easily available knowledge. Oh, and Bush & Co. for War Crimes;-)

--
FB - FFF

Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 06-11-2007, 04:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Nov 5, 9:03 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"Not@home" wrote in message

SteveB wrote:
[...]

This site is an exception to the usual conviviality found on many
usenet sites. To earn your entry into the clique, you have to
initiate or agree with some long-winded political screed. If you ask
a question(s), you will be greeted with the hostility by this clique
-- but not by all herein -- as you have been. They assume many
things: e.g. that you didn't go to Google, that you didn't do any
other research. They are predisposed to question motives, not to
engage in friendly discussions of gardening.
There are some helpful and just plain nice folks here, but also a few
self-appointed neighborhood bullies. Lurk and learn, but enter at
your peril.

cheers

oz

Old 06-11-2007, 05:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article . com,
MajorOz wrote:

On Nov 5, 9:03 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"Not@home" wrote in message

SteveB wrote:
[...]

As if a supporter of Dixie Lee Ray has anything to teach others. Tell us
again how acid rain, ozone depletion, and global warming are natural
phenomenon and not man made. You and Ann make a nice couple. I won't say
a couple of what. You imply a conspiracy but don't explain that when
people call you on your bull-shit, you wrap yourselves in the garb of
martyrs. Dixie Lee Ray is mental and Bush belongs behind bars. Steve
won't understand composting until it suits him. Screw 'em.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights.
Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley
Old 06-11-2007, 05:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

Pennyaline wrote:
SteveB wrote:

snip the shit for crying out loud

Has anyone gotten around to telling you not to use cooked or dressed
food scraps in your compost pile? Raw foods only, vegetable matter only,
no meat, no fats, no salad dressings, etc.

I don't think anyone has told him anything quite yet. Nice note on these
facts.. It's something people sometimes overlook and toss in.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Pennyaline" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:

snip the shit for crying out loud

Has anyone gotten around to telling you not to use cooked or dressed food
scraps in your compost pile? Raw foods only, vegetable matter only, no
meat, no fats, no salad dressings, etc.

Why not? I've composted lots of things including lots of cooked food and
also a dead chook (chicken in US speak) and had no problems at all. Someone
I know swears that fat is a real worm attractant and that worms writhe and
gorge themselves on fat from a commercial frying machine. Can't see it
myself but he swears that it's true.