Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2007, 11:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Have you Ever Seen?

Charles wrote:
On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 15:45:43 -0600, Scott Hildenbrand
wrote:

Ok, I was just looking around the net and ran across some bugs.

So it got me thinking about something I've seen only once in my life and
I was wondering if anyone else had seen anything like it.

Now, for the oddball description.

I can not recall the color but I think it was green/red or something.

It was the size of a humming bird

It hovered like a humming bird

The odd thing was that it had curled antennas and a proboscis.

I'd only seen one once in my life, was with my father at the time who
said it may be a lady bird. No clue, I've googled that a few times and
nothing useful comes up.

So I was wondering if anyone's seen anything like this? It was very odd
and I wish I knew what it was.

http://www.desertusa.com/mag99/jan/papr/sphinx.html

http://www.birds-n-garden.com/hummingbird_moths.html

Also look on Google images for hummingbird moth.

Kewl beans.. That is exactly what it is.. Thanks a bunch!

Hmmmm... Wonder why I've only seen them once, or maybe I've seen more
from a distance and assumed they were humming birds..

Oh well.. Wonder if I can attract them down here.. Saw my first Luna
moth, Cow Killer and several other odd things since we've moved so kinda
excited..