Old 15-11-2007, 12:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Thinking about staying warm

Jim wrote in
:

enigma wrote:
but it can be hard to actually work while wearing
mittens.

kind of like trying to type while wearing boxing gloves.

i guess... i have nerve damage in my left hand so i type using
only my thumb & index finger of my right hand. i found out my
left ring & pinkie don't type after paying a nonrefundable #
200 for typing lessons
however i could type faster & more accurately two fingered
than my ex-ISP boss who could type 70 WPM, so it's not a big
deal

the 'best of both worlds' solutions is to have gloves
with a fold back mitten flap.

I saw a pair of those at one of the extreme outfitter
stores.

i make mine.

i make my under gloves without
fingertips because i need to keep a grip usually g,

sounds like a competitive shooter's glove where the palm
is covered with a recoil pad and usually with rubber
inserts to enhance grip while leaving the fingers exposed
for improved trigger sensitivity. past makes a really
good one.

the shooter's gloves i've seen have had a seperate index
finger (sometimes covered & sometimes open ended) & the rest
of the fingers in a mitten. i haven't tried knitting one like
that yet.
lee
Old 15-11-2007, 02:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 11/15/07 7:42 AM, in article
, "enigma"
wrote:
at least he thinks you're a female. he thinks i'm a guy

We know differently!

wanna tell him i do have a saphouse & make maple syrup? he
says i *obviously* don't know anything because i don't call
the saphouse a "sugar house" or something silly like that.
oh! i *finally* ordered a barn! it should be up before the
holidays (hopefully before snow so i don't have to lug hay
down bale by bale... unless it ices, then i can slide downhill
on the bales. i did that when i was 6 months pregnant.
wheeeee!)
anyhow, we're going to move the boiler up to the barn (one 12
x 12 area will be the brewery/sapboiler area) & get a propane
arch. the sap still has to flow downhill, so we'll need to
pump it back up from the current saphouse, but still...
oh, & i'm pretty sure Perl has menengial worm. hopefully hers
won't be fatal. i like her.
lee
Old 15-11-2007, 02:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/15/07 9:30 AM, in article
, "enigma"
wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 11/15/07 7:42 AM, in article
, "enigma"
wrote:
at least he thinks you're a female. he thinks i'm a guy

We know differently!

wanna tell him i do have a saphouse & make maple syrup? he
says i *obviously* don't know anything because i don't call
the saphouse a "sugar house" or something silly like that.

Well, if you share the syrup this year!
oh! i *finally* ordered a barn! it should be up before the
holidays (hopefully before snow so i don't have to lug hay
down bale by bale... unless it ices, then i can slide downhill
on the bales. i did that when i was 6 months pregnant.
wheeeee!)

Good for you!
anyhow, we're going to move the boiler up to the barn (one 12
x 12 area will be the brewery/sapboiler area) & get a propane
arch. the sap still has to flow downhill, so we'll need to
pump it back up from the current saphouse, but still...

There is that
oh, & i'm pretty sure Perl has menengial worm. hopefully hers
won't be fatal. i like her.

Poor thing

Old 15-11-2007, 03:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 11/15/07 9:30 AM, in article
, "enigma"
wrote:
Well, if you share the syrup this year!

if they get the logging finished so i can run sapline! they
did get 3 loads out before the rain made it too boggy again,
enough to cover the property taxes & they've barely started.
if i can't run line we do about 10-20 buckets, but that's not
a lot of syrup, especially with at least 10 gallons of sap
earmarked for beer...
they'll be back to logging as soon as the ground freezes
(hopefully it will before February this year)

oh, & i'm pretty sure Perl has menengial worm. hopefully
hers won't be fatal. i like her.

Poor thing

i'm a bit peeved the vet hasn't called me back yet. there's
pretty much nothing you can do once it's symptomatic though. i
can just hope she ends up with minor neurological damage, like
a dragging foot or blindness
she's eating well & her mom is being supportive, as in
spending lots of time near her. it was really sad when we had
DNS put down. his mom spent weeks laying on the grave... she
doesn't go near it anymore now though.
lee
Old 16-11-2007, 04:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Jim is offline

enigma wrote:

Jim wrote:
enigma wrote:
but it can be hard to actually work while wearing
mittens.

kind of like trying to type while wearing boxing gloves.

i guess... i have nerve damage in my left hand so i type using
only my thumb & index finger of my right hand. i found out my
left ring & pinkie don't type after paying a nonrefundable #
200 for typing lessons
however i could type faster & more accurately two fingered
than my ex-ISP boss who could type 70 WPM, so it's not a big
deal

never to accept defeat! it is always good when we overcome
what seems insurmountable. good job Lee.

the 'best of both worlds' solutions is to have gloves
with a fold back mitten flap.

I saw a pair of those at one of the extreme outfitter
stores.

i make mine.

talent admired and noted.

i make my under gloves without
fingertips because i need to keep a grip usually g,

sounds like a competitive shooter's glove where the palm
is covered with a recoil pad and usually with rubber
inserts to enhance grip while leaving the fingers exposed
for improved trigger sensitivity. past makes a really
good one.

the shooter's gloves i've seen have had a seperate index
finger (sometimes covered & sometimes open ended) & the rest
of the fingers in a mitten. i haven't tried knitting one like
that yet.

my grandmama could knit and crochet. I'd watch her and not
knowing the difference I'd ask, "grandmama are you knitting
or crocheting?" sad to say, that knowledge passed on with
her.

Old 16-11-2007, 04:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Jim is offline

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Jim wrote:

[....]
that I'd put 3 pairs of socks over my hands.

I don't know if they are still around, but I had a pair of "Hot Fingers"
that kept me toasty. DH has several pairs he wears when plowing the drive.

http://www.heatmax.com/

http://www.heatmax.com/HotHands/index.htm

the product known as HotHands-2® is a wonderful thing to
have in your pocket while camping in the higher elevations
of the NC mountains during the wintertime.

http://www.heatmax.com/HotHands/hothands2.htm
Old 16-11-2007, 12:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/15/07 11:52 PM, in article , "Jim"
wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Jim wrote:

[....]
that I'd put 3 pairs of socks over my hands.

I don't know if they are still around, but I had a pair of "Hot Fingers"
that kept me toasty. DH has several pairs he wears when plowing the drive.

http://www.heatmax.com/

http://www.heatmax.com/HotHands/index.htm

the product known as HotHands-2® is a wonderful thing to
have in your pocket while camping in the higher elevations
of the NC mountains during the wintertime.

http://www.heatmax.com/HotHands/hothands2.htm

Had some in the "survival box" for scouting, should find them and toss them
in the truck...

Old 16-11-2007, 12:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jim wrote in
:

enigma wrote:
the shooter's gloves i've seen have had a seperate index
finger (sometimes covered & sometimes open ended) & the
rest of the fingers in a mitten. i haven't tried knitting
one like that yet.

my grandmama could knit and crochet. I'd watch her and not
knowing the difference I'd ask, "grandmama are you knitting
or crocheting?" sad to say, that knowledge passed on with
her.

you can still learn! my 7 year old boy learned crochet in
school (not public school obviously) & he's starting to learn
to knit, although he really hasn't got the coordination quite
yet. he has been rake (frame) knitting since he was barely 5
though & has made a couple hats.
the simple way to tell knitting from crochet is that crochet
uses one hook & knitting uses 2 or more needles (i like 4 or 5
g). rake knitting is like those spool knitters but with more
nails to loop around
http://www.markmanfarm.com/
it's going on winter. you should have a bit of downtime to
learn a new skill
lee

--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be