Old 27-11-2007, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Our luck ran out...perhaps

I usually walk about checking our oak tree leaf lines. Sort of a early
warning that an oak is in decline since it is easier to take out a sick
tree than a dead one. I live in the woods. Today may tree guy tells me
I have Oak Scorch and it killed a tree I thought was viral.
Seems it is bacterial in nature and attacks ~80 % of the trees on my
land. This is a bummer. Luckily we have Pine and White Oaks about and
I introduced a few other tress like Hollies, Maples, Cherries, Kousa
and others but if this gets on our forest will be a field. Below site is
dated 2002.

Bill

http://gloucester.rcre.rutgers.edu/p...rialleafscorch.
pdf

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 28-11-2007, 11:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

William Wagner wrote:
I usually walk about checking our oak tree leaf lines. Sort of a early
warning that an oak is in decline since it is easier to take out a sick
tree than a dead one. I live in the woods. Today may tree guy tells me
I have Oak Scorch and it killed a tree I thought was viral.
Seems it is bacterial in nature and attacks ~80 % of the trees on my
land. This is a bummer. Luckily we have Pine and White Oaks about and
I introduced a few other tress like Hollies, Maples, Cherries, Kousa
and others but if this gets on our forest will be a field. Below site is
dated 2002.

Bill

http://gloucester.rcre.rutgers.edu/p...rialleafscorch.
pdf

Can you harvest the timber?
Old 29-11-2007, 11:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
doofy wrote:

William Wagner wrote:
I usually walk about checking our oak tree leaf lines. Sort of a early
warning that an oak is in decline since it is easier to take out a sick
tree than a dead one. I live in the woods. Today may tree guy tells me
I have Oak Scorch and it killed a tree I thought was viral.
Seems it is bacterial in nature and attacks ~80 % of the trees on my
land. This is a bummer. Luckily we have Pine and White Oaks about and
I introduced a few other tress like Hollies, Maples, Cherries, Kousa
and others but if this gets on our forest will be a field. Below site is
dated 2002.

Bill

http://gloucester.rcre.rutgers.edu/p...rialleafscorch.
pdf

Can you harvest the timber?

I try to give it away. No one wants Oak unless it is very large. With
oil the way it is I'd guess wood stoves may come back and cord wood.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 29-11-2007, 02:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/29/07 6:14 AM, in article
,
"William Wagner" wrote:

In article ,
doofy wrote:

William Wagner wrote:
[...]

For years, our rental unit has had a wood stove. We lived there before kids
and we built our house. A clean and well ordered wood stove is a wonderful
way to heat.

Old 29-11-2007, 03:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 11/29/07 6:14 AM, in article
,
"William Wagner" wrote:

In article ,
doofy wrote:

William Wagner wrote:
[...]

We had a total electric house built in 1970. KW hours were about .03.
In 1972 KW hours went to ~ .14 . Good news the house was well
insulated ( not super insulated). Babies were coming and I could not
afford the electric so we purchased an Effel Belgian wood stove. Worked
great and held over night usually. Added a catalytic device and wood
consumption went from 5 cords to 3 .

Currenty gas rules here.

I had 3 solar panels on our roof for hot water but the heat exchangers
kept failing putting antifreeze in our house water. So no longer used.
I noticed a nearby home has a total voltaic array.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade