Old 04-12-2007, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Which vine(s) for this type of wall?

I have a rather long and tall block retaining wall in front of my
house similar to this type of stone:
http://www.chipperfields.ca/Images/G...Wall-Block.jpg

The wall is facing North-East with no trees or other obstructions. If
you had this wall in your front yard, what vine/vines would you plant
next spring?

Heck, if the suggestions are good, I will come back and have this
group "landscape-suggest" my entire yard!

Thanks,

Deion "Mule" Christopher
Old 05-12-2007, 01:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/4/2007 10:16 AM, MoMule wrote:
I have a rather long and tall block retaining wall in front of my
house similar to this type of stone:
http://www.chipperfields.ca/Images/G...Wall-Block.jpg

The wall is facing North-East with no trees or other obstructions. If
you had this wall in your front yard, what vine/vines would you plant
next spring?

Heck, if the suggestions are good, I will come back and have this
group "landscape-suggest" my entire yard!

Thanks,

Deion "Mule" Christopher

Approximately where are you located. Different vines require different
climates.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 09-12-2007, 02:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 4, 7:27 pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
On 12/4/2007 10:16 AM, MoMule wrote:

I have a rather long and tall block retaining wall in front of my
house similar to this type of stone:
http://www.chipperfields.ca/Images/G...Wall-Block.jpg

The wall is facing North-East with no trees or other obstructions. If
you had this wall in your front yard, what vine/vines would you plant
next spring?

Heck, if the suggestions are good, I will come back and have this
group "landscape-suggest" my entire yard!

Thanks,

Deion "Mule" Christopher

Approximately where are you located. Different vines require different
climates.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Thanks for the reply!

I am in zone 5b (Missouri).
Old 09-12-2007, 04:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/8/2007 6:45 PM, MoMule wrote:
On Dec 4, 7:27 pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
On 12/4/2007 10:16 AM, MoMule wrote:

I have a rather long and tall block retaining wall in front of my
house similar to this type of stone:
http://www.chipperfields.ca/Images/G...Wall-Block.jpg
The wall is facing North-East with no trees or other obstructions. If
you had this wall in your front yard, what vine/vines would you plant
next spring?
Heck, if the suggestions are good, I will come back and have this
group "landscape-suggest" my entire yard!
Thanks,
Deion "Mule" Christopher

Approximately where are you located. Different vines require different
climates.

Thanks for the reply!

I am in zone 5b (Missouri).

I'm not familiar with what will survive your winters. And your
north-east wall won't even get a little warming.

Your best bet is to ask at a local nursery (not a lumber yard or home
improvement store, but a place where plants are the primary
merchandise). You might also inquire with your county's agricultural
extension service (or whatever they call it in Missouri); most such
services also provide advice to home gardeners.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

"MoMule" wrote in message
I have a rather long and tall block retaining wall in front of my
house similar to this type of stone:
http://www.chipperfields.ca/Images/G...Wall-Block.jpg

The wall is facing North-East with no trees or other obstructions. If
you had this wall in your front yard, what vine/vines would you plant
next spring?

Heck, if the suggestions are good, I will come back and have this
group "landscape-suggest" my entire yard!

Thanks,

Deion "Mule" Christopher

Looks like something extremely similar to what I saw months ago at one
commercial website while I was researching material for a retaining wall.
My gut says its the same photo.
Dave

Old 10-12-2007, 07:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 8, 11:52 pm, "Dioclese" NONE wrote:
"MoMule" wrote in message

I have a rather long and tall block retaining wall in front of my
house similar to this type of stone:
http://www.chipperfields.ca/Images/G...Wall-Block.jpg

The wall is facing North-East with no trees or other obstructions. If
you had this wall in your front yard, what vine/vines would you plant
next spring?

Heck, if the suggestions are good, I will come back and have this
group "landscape-suggest" my entire yard!

Thanks,

Deion "Mule" Christopher

Looks like something extremely similar to what I saw months ago at one
commercial website while I was researching material for a retaining wall.
My gut says its the same photo.
Dave

Thanks David for the info on the ivy. I have seen ivy in my area that
survives each year - I will check with some local nurseries. Since
the blocks are glued together I can only hope the ivy isn't strong
enough to wedge them apart.

Dioclese,

I'm not sure what you are asking - I did a google image search for
block walls and this particular linked picture had the closest
resemblance to what I have in my front yard. That is why I stated in
my original post,

"I have a rather long and tall block retaining wall in front of my
house similar to this type of stone: http://www.chipperfields.ca/Images/Gallery/Retaining-Wall-Block.jpg"

Deion "Mule" Christopher