Old 05-12-2007, 09:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Exercise in web design

Hi folks. Just mentioning a new site that I am working on as part of
an assessment for a web design course. The URL is http://au.geocities.com/peterd0n
and the title of the home page is Helen's Garden Design - Home. Now
this is not yet a real site and so the information is neither complete
nor the photos real. However, there is a Helen and she does have the
background, achievements and interests described and does run garden
design business - and will be on the web when I can get her to turn
some attention away from actual soil and plants - and family, and to
the subject of producing a web page. Getting the teenagers to finally
leave home will help of course. If you want to contact her you can
email me at in the meantime.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Learnear wrote:
Hi folks. Just mentioning a new site that I am working on as part of
an assessment for a web design course. The URL is
http://au.geocities.com/peterd0n and the title of the home page is
Helen's Garden Design - Home. Now
this is not yet a real site and so the information is neither
complete
nor the photos real.

In the meantime, you need to put New Zeland on the opening page and
other places where it has addresses, because the site will be seen
around the world. Next kill the running strip - big distractor.

Tom J

Old 05-12-2007, 09:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Learnear" wrote in message
Hi folks. Just mentioning a new site that I am working on as part of
an assessment for a web design course. The URL is
http://au.geocities.com/peterd0n
and the title of the home page is Helen's Garden Design - Home. Now
this is not yet a real site and so the information is neither complete
nor the photos real. However, there is a Helen and she does have the
background, achievements and interests described and does run garden
design business - and will be on the web when I can get her to turn
some attention away from actual soil and plants - and family, and to
the subject of producing a web page. Getting the teenagers to finally
leave home will help of course. If you want to contact her you can
email me at in the meantime.

I agree with Tom. Lose the red banner right away. It's a pointless gimmick.
And make sure no sounds or music ever play without the express permission of
the visitor. Nothing automatic.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Learnear wrote:

Hi folks. Just mentioning a new site that I am working on as part of
an assessment for a web design course. The URL is
http://au.geocities.com/peterd0n
and the title of the home page is Helen's Garden Design - Home. Now
this is not yet a real site and so the information is neither complete
nor the photos real. However, there is a Helen and she does have the
background, achievements and interests described and does run garden
design business - and will be on the web when I can get her to turn
some attention away from actual soil and plants - and family, and to
the subject of producing a web page. Getting the teenagers to finally
leave home will help of course. If you want to contact her you can
email me at in the meantime.

I agree with the others. Also, with Firefox, the Garden Plans page
looks OK but the other two have a horizontal line going through the
first line of text under the 3 links.

You should test your site on:

Firefox
Safari
Opera
Netscape

as well as Explorer.

These are free and I believe they are all multi platform except
Explorer. Explorer abandoned other platforms other than Windows about 5
years ago.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to

http://rhodyman.net/rahome.html
http://rhodyman.net/rabooks.html
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6
Old 05-12-2007, 10:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Learnear" wrote in message

[...]

I agree with Tom and Joe. And garden sites should NEVER have sounds or
music (I find it VERY annoying on ANY site). To me the best sites are
the "simple" ones. Lots of pictures and no gimmicks.

--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

To see pictures from my garden visit
http://members.iglou.com/brosen

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 05-12-2007, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

Learnear wrote:
Hi folks. Just mentioning a new site that I am working on as part of
an assessment for a web design course. The URL is http://au.geocities.com/peterd0n
and the title of the home page is Helen's Garden Design - Home. Now
this is not yet a real site and so the information is neither complete
nor the photos real. However, there is a Helen and she does have the
background, achievements and interests described and does run garden
design business - and will be on the web when I can get her to turn
some attention away from actual soil and plants - and family, and to
the subject of producing a web page. Getting the teenagers to finally
leave home will help of course. If you want to contact her you can
email me at in the meantime.

Besides what others have noted, if you are just beginning to do page
design it would be an excellent time to:

1. start using CSS to separate the style elements from the content in
every page you do -- it makes later maintenance much less painful and
after a day or so of learning it makes even the original composition easier.

2. test every page for compliance to all pertinent standards -- makes
pages less dependent upon the browser used to view them.

3. always pay attention to appearances when switching pages however you
style them. Having "fixed" elements jumping about even a little is
jarring and detracts from the content.

But keep at it. Nothing succeeds like steady effort.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 06-12-2007, 02:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/5/2007 1:04 PM, Learnear wrote:
Hi folks. Just mentioning a new site that I am working on as part of
an assessment for a web design course. The URL is http://au.geocities.com/peterd0n
and the title of the home page is Helen's Garden Design - Home. Now
this is not yet a real site and so the information is neither complete
nor the photos real. However, there is a Helen and she does have the
background, achievements and interests described and does run garden
design business - and will be on the web when I can get her to turn
some attention away from actual soil and plants - and family, and to
the subject of producing a web page. Getting the teenagers to finally
leave home will help of course. If you want to contact her you can
email me at in the meantime.

The W3C validator at http://validator.w3.org/ reports 34 HTML errors.
The page appears designed for Internet Explorer, but 35%-40% of those
viewing the Web use a non-Micro$oft browser. Thus, you should fix the
errors to ensure that other browsers will indeed display what you want
people to see.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean