Old 12-12-2007, 04:45 AM posted to rec.gardens, rec.food.preserving, rec.food.cooking

Default PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Tomatoes in December

I think this photo probably needs no explanation but it's hard not to
gloat over picking a tomato in December.

js

Old 12-12-2007, 04:58 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking

"Jack Schmidling" wrote in message
I think this photo probably needs no explanation but it's hard not to
gloat over picking a tomato in December.

js

Good Lord, man, I didn't know you were a Renaissance Man!

(Yes, let us know the electric bill.) We haven't had snow like this this
winter here in VA (near the mountains) yet.
Dee Dee

Old 12-12-2007, 11:01 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking

On 12/11/07 11:45 PM, in article
, "Jack

--
PHOTO OF THE WEEK:
http://schmidling.com/pow.htm

Hey Jack, I'm headed your way for lunch!

Lucky man!

Old 12-12-2007, 07:30 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee wrote:
"Jack Schmidling" wrote in message
I think this photo probably needs no explanation but it's hard not to
gloat over picking a tomato in December.

I've got two cherry tomatoes up on the wall in the kitchen, and they're
still flowering.... I just say, "OK, turn around and go down to the
south forty to get some tomatoes..."

B/
Old 12-12-2007, 07:47 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking

"Jack Schmidling" wrote in message
I think this photo probably needs no explanation but it's hard not to
gloat over picking a tomato in December.

js

I hate you. My tomatoe plants look like something from Little Shop of
Horrors. :-)

Old 13-12-2007, 03:37 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking

Brian Mailman wrote:

I've got two cherry tomatoes up on the wall in the kitchen, and they're
still flowering.... I just say, "OK, turn around and go down to the
south forty to get some tomatoes..."

I had one years ago in a hallway with a South facing window that fruited
all Winter and had a feeling they would do well in a greenhouse.

We have them every year in the garden and I wanted to move one to the GH
but missed the opportunity and you just reminded me to start some.
Problem is, the ones in the garden are volunteers and we haven't planted
them in years so we have no seed and seeds are hard to find now.

Thanks for the jog.

js

Old 14-12-2007, 01:33 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking

Jack Schmidling wrote:
Brian Mailman wrote:

I've got two cherry tomatoes up on the wall in the kitchen, and they're
still flowering.... I just say, "OK, turn around and go down to the
south forty to get some tomatoes..."

I had one years ago in a hallway with a South facing window that fruited
all Winter and had a feeling they would do well in a greenhouse.

We have them every year in the garden and I wanted to move one to the GH
but missed the opportunity and you just reminded me to start some.
Problem is, the ones in the garden are volunteers and we haven't planted
them in years so we have no seed and seeds are hard to find now.

Thanks for the jog.

I have a note on May 1 to see if for the first time in years I can grow
a rocoto pepper there. I never thought I had enough sun in that window.

B/
Old 14-12-2007, 10:43 AM
Registered User

Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Mailman View Post
Jack Schmidling wrote:
Brian Mailman wrote:

I've got two cherry tomatoes up on the wall in the kitchen, and they're
still flowering.... I just say, "OK, turn around and go down to the
south forty to get some tomatoes..."

I had one years ago in a hallway with a South facing window that fruited
all Winter and had a feeling they would do well in a greenhouse.

We have them every year in the garden and I wanted to move one to the GH
but missed the opportunity and you just reminded me to start some.
Problem is, the ones in the garden are volunteers and we haven't planted
them in years so we have no seed and seeds are hard to find now.

Thanks for the jog.

I have a note on May 1 to see if for the first time in years I can grow
a rocoto pepper there. I never thought I had enough sun in that window.

B/
I simply have to agree - scrumptuous looking tomatoes and to think you manage it in adverse conditions. Congratulations.