Old 31-12-2007, 07:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Getting creeping fig to stick!

Hi All. I just put some creeping fig on my stucco balcony by gluing
the little plastic hooks to my balcony and typing the creeping fig.
The hooks are anywhere from 4 inches to 8 inches away from each other
and between then the creeping fig is not really against the stucco -
there's up to an inch to inch and a half. I'm wondering it I should do
something to press the creeping fig against the stucco so it will
begin to stick? Like use some kind of tape or something or get a slab
of board and sandwich the creeping fig between it and the wall? I'd
imagine that wouldn't be very healthy for it long term, but would it
help it begin adhering to the balcony any easier without harming it?

Thanks for your advise...

- JayDee
Old 31-12-2007, 07:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/30/2007 11:35 PM, JayDee wrote:
Hi All. I just put some creeping fig on my stucco balcony by gluing
the little plastic hooks to my balcony and typing the creeping fig.
The hooks are anywhere from 4 inches to 8 inches away from each other
and between then the creeping fig is not really against the stucco -
there's up to an inch to inch and a half. I'm wondering it I should do
something to press the creeping fig against the stucco so it will
begin to stick? Like use some kind of tape or something or get a slab
of board and sandwich the creeping fig between it and the wall? I'd
imagine that wouldn't be very healthy for it long term, but would it
help it begin adhering to the balcony any easier without harming it?

Thanks for your advise...

- JayDee

Be very careful! Creeping fig (Ficus pumila, also known as F. repens)
will indeed very quickly attach itself ("barnacle fashion" according to
Sunset) to stucco, brick, concrete, metal, stone, wood, and even the
glass in a window. It will also damage to whatever it attaches itself.
Sunset also says: "In time, stems will envelop a three- or four-story
building . . . "

Small leaves indicate juvenile growth. When larger leaves appear on
stubby branches (indicating mature growth), cut the entire plant almost
to the ground and let it regrow with new juvenile growth. Otherwise,
the mature growth will start sending rootlets into any crack they can
find, tearing apart your home.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 31-12-2007, 09:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 31, 11:08*am, "David E. Ross" wrote:
[...]

Does that mean it will "reach out" looking for the stucco? I just
don't understand how it attaches to something it's an inch away from.

I find it hard to believe that a single 12" potted creeping fig will
envelop an entire building if I don't repot it.

- JayDee

Old 01-01-2008, 01:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/31/2007 1:17 PM, JayDee wrote:
[...]

Aha! It's in a pot. No, with its roots confined, it will not grow big
enough to envelop or damage a building. Even if growing in a pot,
creeping fig mar the surface of the stucco; but it is unlikely to cause
serious damage.

Yes, it will eventually send out little rootlets along its branches.
The rootlets will hold fast to whatever they touch -- not immediately
but as they grow. Just be patient. This is a woody plant -- a liana --
which does not grow as fast as a vine.

By the way, if you are in an area that gets freezing temperatures in the
winter, be sure your creeping fig is trying to climb a south-facing wall
(or maybe a west-facing wall). Otherwise, it will not survive. It is a
tropical plant. Only because it clings to walls that absorb some heat
from the sun in winter does it survive outside of the tropics. Where I
live (see my signature), this is not a problem.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 31, 5:06*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
[...]

Gardening pages at http://www.rossde.com/garden/- Hide quoted text -

I live in LA as well.

I've been dripping in some Miracle Grow to help it along... that
shouldn't hurt it though, right?

I'm going to email you some pictures so you can see what I've done!

Thanks for the replies...

- JayDee

Old 01-01-2008, 07:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
JayDee wrote:

[...]

Your creeping fig will be happier with fish emulsion or a seaweed based
fertilizer. Miracle Grow is a salt. Bad for the soil. Bad for the plant.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
http://www.antiwar.com/eland/index.php?articleid=8282
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movemen...George_W._Bush

[IMG] code is On

Getting Creeping Fig to Stick to Wood, Vinyl and Concret walls agf Gardening 1 13-08-2008 09:05 PM
Creeping Fig and watering habits and sunlight JayDee Gardening 0 30-03-2008 08:12 PM
Creeping Fig JayDee Gardening 3 29-11-2007 05:01 AM
Anyone have Creeping Fig planted aorund their place? Roy Gardening 2 17-06-2004 01:02 AM
Creeping fig vine parasitic? GreenG Gardening 9 01-04-2004 08:05 PM