Old 02-01-2008, 02:12 PM
Registered User

Default CAn Anyone Identify This Please ?

This is a beautiful bush in my garden that flowers most of the year with the mauve flowers you see in the photo. There are still a couple left and picture 2 shows them..unflowering. Butterflies love it as do bees in particular. I need to trim it back but I note that its is fairly bare in the center with most of the leaves /flowers on the fringes. Firstly I need to identify the bush and secondly any tips on how aggressive I can be in cutting it back would be much appreciated.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Registered User

I've got a feeling its a buddleja alternifolia but if anyone can advise that would be great...particularly on trimming as well.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Registered User

Thanks Janet...I thought it looked similar to a picture of a Budleja I spotted on the Horticultural Society's web site but It wasn't a great picture.

We bought the plant a few years ago and we bought a few Hebes at the time so it makes sense that is what it is. Its about 6ft tall in all but thats close enough. It is a lovely plant and I will give it a stern pruning as suggested. Like the idea of putting some straight branches in the ground as well...

Thanks again...

Gary
Old 03-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Registered User

Found it...Hebe 'Midsummer Beauty'....excellent help Janet