Old 09-01-2008, 06:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Reader's lawn headaches call for groundcover cure

QUESTION: "I built a new home about 2.5 years ago and I am sick of my
grass! It has been nothing but a headache. I have been through several
lawn maintenance companies and I have had many arguments with them.
"At this point I think my best remedy would be to get rid of all the
grass and just plant some kind of ground cover. Some of the reasons
for my woes are that (1) I built on a ravine, (2) my lot is not even;
there are a variety of slopes, and (3) the sun/shade character is
totally different for various areas of the front and back yards.
Obviously, different conditions yield different results. "My concern
is whether or not ground cover would invite infestation by creepy
crawly things. I do have a lot of visitation by all kinds of insects
and animals since I live on a ravine. Would the ground cover be more
inviting to them than the grass? Part of my maintenance problem has
been some of the creatures tearing up parts of the grass. After much
consultation with a variety of people, I finally concluded that,
simply, they were here before I was and they will win! "Finally, I am
not an outdoor person. If the ground cover will lead to high
maintenance then I don't want it. Secondly, I have no idea what kind
to get, so I need some advice. Third, for a yard that is 3,000 sq. ft.
(front & back) will the cost be prohibitive or is the transition a
reasonable one?" - Mark Ealy

ANSWER: The creepy crawly things may not go away but you may at least
have more beneficial ones with ground covers. One thing you may want
to begin with is to take an old garden hose and use it as an outline
to layout some areas that you would like to have ground cover in. If
the area is shaded part of the time and sunny part of the time, you
can really do a lot of different effects. You don't have to have grass
but some at least in the beginning as pathways or just something to
break up the ground cover will be aesthetically more pleasing to the
eye.

Shaded pathways could be great for hostas and shade loving perennials.
Sunny areas would be ideal for small flowing shrubs and ornamental
grasses. By doing it this way, you will eliminate a lot of future
maintenance. I would begin by dividing the area into 3 or 4 sections
and work on one at a time. This gives you a chance to live in the
areas you plan and continually come up with more ideas to give you the
garden you want. A garden is not something you plant just one big time
and then stand back and admire. It is a place to which you constantly
add new things for your enjoyment. It does not become a maintenance
thing but a place to reflect on the day's experiences and enjoy your
own touch of nature.

If you decide to go this route, email back at
with more specific details about the first area you plan to do and I
will help where I can. Other readers seeking advice on specific
groundcover choices are welcome to do the same.

QUESTION: "In a recent column, you said it is better to give the lawn
a good soaking (a 6 inch depth) once a week rather than frequent light
watering, say, 10 minutes every 6 hours. Why is this?" - Patrick M.
Galla

ANSWER: If you are watering lightly the roots of the grass never get a
deep watering and thus never develop a deep root system. Once your
grass develops a deep root system it will not only grow lush and
healthy, it will choke out a lot of the weeds. With a deep root
system, when the watering stops even through draughts, your grass will
be able to access water from a greater depth.

The Plant Man is here to help. Send your questions about trees, shrubs
and landscaping to
nd for resources and
additional information, or to subscribe to Steve's free e-mailed
newsletter, visit
www.landsteward.org