Old 11-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Earl Buchan

Default Tree woes can cause headaches... and heartaches!

Trees add so much beauty and tranquility to our landscape. But when
trees develop problems they can cause some big headaches.

Several readers have sent me tree-related questions via e-mail, and
I've done my best to help. If you have questions - or suggestions to
help your fellow readers with their problems - send an e-mail to

QUESTION: "We have a couple of pink crabapple trees that bloom
beautifully in the sping time, but as soon as the blossoms die and
fall off, the leaves do as well. By the time the summer is over, it is
nearly bare and it does produce the apples, but they are the size of
very small cherries. Any help you could provide, would be welcomed." -
Kirk

ANSWER: "Without seeing the tree, it's hard to tell but it sounds like
it could be a nutrition issue. Have you been fertilizing the trees? Is
your soil acid or does it have a balanced PH? You might need to add
lime. As you know, fruit-producing trees put on blooms that are
pollinated by bees. Then the tree begins to devote most of its energy
to producing fruit. At the fruit producing time it needs more than
it's usual amount of water. Then, after the fruit is produced, it
needs nutrition to replenish the tree. You might want to check with a
local county extension agent or get a second opinion from a local
garden center.

QUESTION: "We are having a problem keeping our trees alive. Most of
them get wind burn and we are not sure how to treat them. Maybe we are
not putting in the right trees. We hope you can help us with this
problem. We don't know if getting a young tree is the reason or if the
weather has something to do with it. We would really like your out put
on the matter." - Bill & Nina

ANSWER: Young trees need protection from the wind. I recently received
some photos from a reader who cut 5 gallon plastic buckets in half
(vertically, top to bottom) and then cut out the ends. He then pressed
the "half buckets" into the ground about 12 inches from each tree on
the windward side. This gave the trees a chance to grow in size and
strength to the point where the winds did not affect them that much.
This sounds like it might be worth a try in your situation!

QUESTION: "I have a small starter wisteria that a friend gave me. This
spring I planted it to grow on some lattice, but after reading that it
can get pretty heavy, I am thinking I should move it. I'd love to let
it climb but I don't really have a place for it to hold it's weight,
so I have considered moving it and shaping it into a small tree. I
have seen some that are just huge and not very pretty. Any suggestions
on what to do with it and on how to train it would be greatly
appreciated."- Mary C.

ANSWER: In order to create an attractive display, you would need to
stake the central leader. Once you've done that, go up to about five
feet then top it and begin the shaping process. It should take about 2
years to see the effects of your labor.

QUESTION: "I am writing in regards to an epidemic affecting the pine
trees in my area. I heard there is a virus that's attacking all the
pine trees. Is there anything you can do to try to save them? My
neighbor's trees were dying and now mine are, too. There is not a
shortage of water and nothing has been done to them. Also, all around
my work the pines are dying too.

Help!"- Brad Mueller

ANSWER: I hate to tell you this but I think there is nothing you can
do to save them. It is a pine canker, and there are many arborists
trying to figure out a solution. Hopefully, they will succeed before
it wipes out all the pine. If any reader has any good news to pass on
regarding this subject, please drop me an e-mail. Meanwhile, here are
a couple of links with some information:
http://forestry.about.com/bldisex.htm
http://forestry.about.com/od/forestd..._dis_worst.htm

You can find direct links to both sites from my web site. Go to
www.landsteward.org and click on the links in this column archived
under "The Plant Man" heading.

The Plant Man is here to help. Send you questions about trees, shrubs
and landscaping to and for resources and
additional information, including archived Plant Man columns, visit
www.landsteward.org where you can also subscribe to Steve's free
e-mailed newsletter.

Old 11-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Marley1372

diagnosing serious plant disorders and diseases over the internet without even
seeing a picture is a bit shady dont you think??

Toad
Old 14-07-2004, 04:02 AM
how

Marley1372" wrote in message
diagnosing serious plant disorders and diseases over the internet without

even
seeing a picture is a bit shady dont you think??
Toad

Hi,
These posts are trying to lure visitors to the site for "answers" to
gardening questions and to sign up for a newsletter, "Garden solutions that
can make anyone a Master Gardener."
Last month they posted on water gardens and gave some lame information such
as overflowing the pond as a method to rid a pond of mosquitoes and "using
oxygenating plants and a circulating pump will reduce the risk
considerably". .
I emailed and asked how oxygenating plants aided in mosquito control,
answer = *quote* "I believe what they are saying is that if you have moving
water the insects will not lay eggs." *endquote*
I emailed again asking how the plants contributed to mosquito control.
answer = *quote* "I believe what I was referring to was that it helped
maintain healthy water and not stagnant.
Submerged (oxygenating) plants These plants maintain the water quality
by feeding on the nitrogen from decaying plants (depriving algae of a
food source) and creating oxygen. Examples: Hornwort, Cabomba, Jungle
Vall." *endquote*
I also asked a few more questions that were ignored. I'll leave to others to
critique these posts on fruit trees but forget about water gardening answers
from these folks.
L8R -_- how
no NEWS is good