Old 21-01-2008, 04:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default SFG on Cement

Hi!

I'm in the middle of reading Square Foot Gardening and have a
question. In my backyard, I have an ideal spot to garden, however,
it's on top of cement. There use to be a small one-car garage there,
and the previous owner knocked it down but left the cement.

I was thinking of building a 4x4 box to garden in on top of the
cement. Will this work? How deep would I have to make it?

One of my concerns is about drainage. If I build it on top of the
cement, then the water probably won't drain well. I'm also concerned
about the hot/cold of the cement. I think dirt regulates heat/cold a
little better than cement. BTW, I also live in Chicago.

My other idea is to build it in the yard. I'd rather not do it
because the cement area gets the most sun, and my yard is pretty
small. However, if it will affect my yield, then I can spare some
room. ;-)

I would also like to plant (if it matters) broccoli, parsley, onions,
peppers, tomatoes, muskmelons, peas, carrots, beans (pole), and
corn....if possible.

Thanks in advanced for any suggestions!
Old 21-01-2008, 05:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jan 21, 11:24*am, " wrote:
[...]

No problem. A lot of us do container gardening on decks and patios.
As long as you have a foot or maybe more dirt, you can grow these
things. If you are worried about water logging, unless your frame is
water tight, excess should leak out, or as I do in some of my pots,
put drain holes. If garden is only 4X4, you are best to plant higher
value things like tomatos and peppers.

[IMG] code is On

SFG Billy[_10_] Edible Gardening 12 25-05-2010 10:19 PM
PVC Cement? Dustin Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 06:16 AM
PVC cement in planted tank Chris Spierings Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 31-03-2003 11:32 PM
Cement to use/not to use around pond? IanQ Ponds 2 06-03-2003 09:52 AM
Pond sides....dry cement/dirt mix? Kevin Carbis Ponds 1 20-02-2003 12:03 AM